Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Focus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have posted this problem at four forums and no one has an answer. It is common knowledge to most that when opening multiple windows the top one should stay active,focused. Well that is not the case on this PC as of about two months ago.

As soon as I open a second window it is not active. I am required to click on the page to make it active. THis should not be happening. I have another Compaq right next to this one that does not exhibit that behavior. Sure wish I could find out the cause of this. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: I might add the same behavior happens with Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hello,

Do you have tweakUI XP installed? it can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx down on the right.
When installed go to control panel, open it and select general->Focus then check the prevent applications from stealing focus.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

Do you have tweakUI XP installed? it can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx down on the right.
When installed go to control panel, open it and select general->Focus then check the prevent applications from stealing focus.

THanks Niggles but unfortunately that did not help. When I opened tweakUI that box was already checked. THis is one of those problems that just does not make any sense with these consarn machines. It also seems that I am the only one on the planet that has the problem. Granted not a biggie but this should not be happening.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

You are not the only one on the planet to have this problem I had it too, but the method I posted worked for me.

Have you tried clearing the check box applying it then restarting and applying the tick again?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

You are not the only one on the planet to have this problem I had it too, but the method I posted worked for me.

Have you tried clearing the check box applying it then restarting and applying the tick again?

Hey man. I owe you a steak dinner. Don't really know how this worked but all I did was open TweakUI >unticked that box " prevent stealing focus" and now no problem. Didn't even restart. Seems like that box being checked was causing the problem.

I just remembered though that I installed a tweak from Kelley's awhile back that was supposed to stop the focus stealing. Maybe that had something to do with the problem. Anyway thank you much my friend.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thats ok, it was no problem, I'm just glad that it worked out.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users