Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There A Maximum Amount Of Data That A Pc Can Have (internal And External)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hey,

Can there be a Maximum Amount of data that a PC can have/handle internally and externally?
I want to know this as I am going to build a Server.

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hello,

Could you give more details about the specs ie Linux/Windows Processor Hard drive RAM and so on.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for replying so quickly!

The PC I am using is the Acer Aspire SA85. I don't know which 1 it is on the list but I do know that it has 512mb of RAM (but it doesn't show all of it?!), 80Gb SATA HDD, and that's all I know from the top of my head. I know the motherboard can take SATA and PATA connections. On the side of the box it says its got 10/100/1000 Integrated LAN but on the Acer site on the PC (Acer Aspire SA85), there are none with a 10/100/1000 Integrated LAN!! How weird.
There are 3 80Gb HDDs (1 SATA and 2 PATA) and I might put in a 40Gb PATA HDD inside. Also I have a 160Gb External HDD.

I am unsure as to which Operating System I am going to use. I want to use Xubuntu as there I have a guide on how to set up a server using Xubuntu. Which would be the best OS to use?

I am thinking about getting a Hard Drive Enclosure (like this, this, this or this as I will be able to swap backup drives easily (as I am going to use it as a Backup Server and for File Sharing throughout our network [2 Laptops, 2 PCs]).
Also, I might get this case as it is bigger than the 1 we already have and also because it can hold more drives (and it's not expensive!!).

I think I have included the information you wanted!

Thanks
deanpcmad

EDIT: OS info

Edited by deanpcmad, 10 January 2008 - 04:09 PM.

deanpcmad

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

The specs for the system look good enough for the purposes, With regards to OS, I would go for a linux distro too http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category...er#distrosearch
Regards,

Alan.

#5 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

The specs for the system look good enough for the purposes, With regards to OS

What do you mean by this?

I want to know 'Can there be a Maximum amount of data in a PC? (Internally and Externally).

So which OS would be best?
Shall I use Windows XP and use Virtual PCs with Linux on?
Or, the other way around?

deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

The system that you have looks more than capable for for the job in question.

I dont believe there is a Maximum ammount of data a system can hold. It would depend on how many HDDs you had, the sizes, the available space for external HDDs and components.

I would go for a Linux OS, perhaps Ubuntu or one of their custom packages. You idea of having a virtual PC running linux would probably be best in terms of security.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users