Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Live Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wojtek_kurnik

Wojtek_kurnik

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

Hi, everyone!

Could anybody help me with my problem? It occured one month ago. Earlier I used Norton without any problem.
When I install Norton Internet Security 2005 (original) it upadates all definitions and so on. After that, when I run Live Update, it dowloads the desired updates and during install it slows down the processor. Performance is up to 100% and nothing happens. The process in background is lucallbackproxy.exe or aleupdat.exe, sometimes another application from the folder Symantec\Live Update. Formatting of all partitions, clearing the entire disk and installing Windows XP (+SP2) from the very beggining doesn't work.
This problem has been reported on various forums by several people, but I didn't find any solution there. The only reasonable suggestion was to get rid of Norton and look for another antivirus software. I conside Norton to be very effective. Now I run Antivir Personal. This is a temporary solution. Do I have to forget about NIS? Can anyone give me anadvice on this?

Wojtek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hello,

What are the specs for the computer you installed it on? Processor RAM HDD
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Wojtek_kurnik

Wojtek_kurnik
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

2X120 GB, 3,4Ghz. I think this is not the case.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

If you have a 3Ghz processor you certainly have the power to run the live update, how long have you left live update updating until you cancel it?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Wojtek_kurnik

Wojtek_kurnik
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

Before it took about 2 minutes to perform the update. Now, after 1 minute, the progress indicaator freezes, CPU performance indicator shows 100%, lucallboxy is in ca. 7 positions in Task Mamager and one of them (or aleupdat.exe) consumes increasing amount of memory. Nothing happens, no Internet transfer, no disk transfer. I quit after 30 minutes. Turning Automatic Live Update "on" gives the same results after 30 seconds of machine restart. RAM is 1GB, therefore sufficient. I am not the only one to have this problem.

#6 vasudeva_acharya

vasudeva_acharya

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

Please check Who killed my computer

This talks about problems with Norton Antivirus softwares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users