Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus, Spy ware? What next?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Yasnowski

Tom Yasnowski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:07 PM

I got what appears to be a virus of some sort. My computer is sending emails out
like crazy to addresses I dont know. I can tell this is happening when AVG pops up with a scanning email message. My Norton Personal firewall Is blocking some of them saying they might be span. I have AVG and Norton virus detect going with latest updates (today) and its not finding anything. I went hunting for some of the recent viruses in the registry but cant find anything. I am running 2000 Pro.
Any advice?

Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:56 AM

Download and run Hijackthis, save the log file and post the results in this section of the forum. Somebody will analyse the log for you and see if you are infected.

Download HijackThis here

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:59 AM

I had the same problem and im still not sure if its fixed as i got rid of AVG, What were some of the addresses did u get any? i took a screen shot then turned off my router incase it is a password list or something as the virus i had was a trojan.
I belive if you have the same thing i got you will need Microsoft Antispyware BETA from microsoft website its free right now and if its the same virus as i had it has also installed spyware. Do full virus and spyware scan in safe mode.

That will fix half the prob but im still not sure how to stop it emailing i hope someone eles can provide an answer to that.I belive it does it in the background so you dont no AVG is the only scanner i no of that pops up and scans them, its about the only way to no if its happening.

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:01 AM

Also post too copys of the Hijack this log, Do one in Safe mode and one in normal mode, name them so we no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users