Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bankspbs9

bankspbs9

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

Ok, I reinstalled Windows XP Home edition on my computer to get rid of error messages and virus that were on my system and it worked. Now what do I do next? What else am I supposed to reinstall on m system to get it to be in regular working condition in relation to drivers (I have no idea what those are) or anything else to get it up and going? Also, my screen resolution is at 640 by 480 pixels and I know I need to increase that to make the display to regular size (right now everything is huge on the screen), but when I try to slide the arrow over to increase the resolution size it doesn't move. Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum and edited topic title~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 14 January 2008 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

Drivers are there to make sure your software can access your hardware correctly, a perfect example of this is as you describe the problem with your display resolution this is because windows can't communicate correctly with your graphics chip/card. to solve the issue you will need to go to the companys website where you will be able to install the right software.

If you open up device manager... right click my computer->properties->hardware->device manager, what can you see under display adaptors?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bankspbs9

bankspbs9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

nigglesnush85, I don't have anything listed under display adaptors. "Display adaptors" for some reason doesn't even show on my device manager. That's a red flag for me right? That means there's probably something that I didn't do. Should I have done something monitor wise when I re-installed?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thats interesting, are there any yellow exclamation marks next to any of the entries?
Go to start then run type dxdiag This is a directx tool, but it should give you information under the display tab on your graphics set up.
do you know the make and model of your graphics card/chip?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 bankspbs9

bankspbs9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

The only information that is there under my display tab is the Current Display Mode, and the main driver. That's it. There is nothing under Name, Manufacturer, Chip Type, etc. Was there somthing else I was supposed to do as far as the monitor goes when I used the re-installation disk to re-install Windows?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

What system do you have (manufacturer/model)?

If system was built for you or put together by you...what is the motherboard (manufactuer/model)?

If you installed a video card, rather than using onboard video...what is the manufacturer/model of said card?

There are several tools that you can use to obtain useful info about your system. You can type msinfo in the Start/Run space, hit OK and you will see all sorts of info about your system. You can use a tool like SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/ and see pretty much the same info and more.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2008 - 02:23 PM.

#7 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

It could try a program such as this [post="http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html"]Belarc[/post] It will tell you what you have on your machine. You can then look up the drivers.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users