Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd All Of The Sudden Not Reading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alcornjr

alcornjr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

All of the sudden when I stick a data (non music) CD in it states that the CD is empty (0 files/0 bytes). This has happened w/ multiple CD's all of the sudden. I recently put in a commercial CD (Linksys G Wireless setup) and it worked fine. The CD's that suddenly do not work were created by using Windows (non-CD creating program). They all worked at one point and now all of the suddent do not.

I then created data CD's a different way using Sonic and those all opened fine. I did upgrade the latest firmware for the driver but the same situation still exists.

Why do these CD's that were created via Windows work at one point and now don't? Is there a way I could get them to work/open again?

Thank You for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Check the physical state of the CDs (clean them) and maybe use a laser cleaner on the drive.

Also check Event Viewer for errors (not warnings, not information items) relating to that particular drive.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users