Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Harder, Javascript Or Php?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Puablo

Puablo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hey all,

Maybe seems like an odd question to ask but the reason I ask is because I am learning JavaScript which I find fairly hard to pick up and I am going to start learning PHP soon and so I wondered if I am going to find it easier or harder than JavaScript?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

I'm In the middle of a Computer Science postgrad and the course deals with php, javascript and others, For me I found that javascript was slightly harder than php, I might change my opinion of this in a few days when I hand in my php assignments :thumbsup: but If you approach each situation logicaly then it will be easier.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I think it sort of depends. If all that you know is HTML, both are going to be hard. And I should point out that they have very different purposes and constructs. Javascript is a client side scripting language, meaning that it loads in the browser along with the web page. Javascript also has far fewer capabilities than does other languages. PHP, on the other hand, is a client side language that is used to generate web content,and it runs on the server. It is much more powerful than javascript, and as such, has a larger library. On the balance, both are scripting languages, and they share some similarities. I think javascript tends to be a bit more cryptic, at least until one gets a feel for the language and understands the Document Object Model. Using php for dynamic web page generation is also a bit hard to get one's head around at first. I think both are equally challenging in their own way, which makes it hard to say that one is more difficult to learn than the other.

#4 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

@puablo: I think you should learn both of them. In trends of web 2.0 you must combine both of them to build a "flexible, attractive, fast" website. AJAX is an example, it's a combination of ASP + JavaScript.

Posted Image

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

ASP + JavaScript.

No, it is not. AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, and has nothing to do with ASP at all.

#6 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:03 AM

No, it is not. AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, and has nothing to do with ASP at all.

You are right. Because I made AJAX + ASP therefore I write so. Sorry, this is my mistake.

Posted Image

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Well I just finished my assignments, and I believe php is harder than javascript.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

I don't think either one is 'harder', there both fairly easy to pick up. All you need is a good book and take time to read the books and when there are exercises at the ends, make sure you do them, as they make you think. I would suggest you learn both of them as then you have more tools at your disposal when deciding which language to use when creating a dynamic site, Etc.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users