Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoshop Cs3 - Can't Open Files - Help!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 terrispeakz

terrispeakz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Hello everyone! *waving*

I'm new to this site and in desperate need of help. I edit images in Photoshop CS3, until last night every function performed beautifully...here is my problem, step by step

I launch Photoshop CS3 successfully
I click FILE
I click OPEN
THE OPEN WINDOW POPS UP FOR A SECOND AND IMMEDIATELY CLOSES (I do not have time to see my files in the OPEN window, let alone select anything!)
the Photoshop CS3 title bar then "mutes" and I cannot make it active again
I then have to shut down PHOTOSHOP CS3
Note: The other commands work: NEW, BROWSE, ETC. - it is only FILE > OPEN that gives this complication

I am an illustrator scanning and editing portraits - I use this alot, so if there's anyone out there who can keep me from driving myself, my car and my computer over the edge of a cliff, please talk to me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

If you are going to drive over a cliff, can I have you CS3, please..? :thumbsup:

A lot of intermittant and/or sudden unexplained  irritations and bugs in CS, CS2 and CS3 can be cured by trashing the preferences file and the resetting same to your wish.
Have you tried that ?

Edited by alumbagh, 10 January 2008 - 10:36 AM.

#3 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

lol...that's cold

so much for concern for my well being, huh?

Thank you for responding, I just saw from research on this problem that this is suggested...so I will try it when I get home and hope for the best

I would say keep your fingers crossed for me, but seeing as how you're hoping for my demise so you can come claim my CS3, I know it's a moot point lol

Thanks again!

TERRI!

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

How did you set up your scratch disc-did you put it on a separate drive than that of the windows scratch disc (you'll need two different physical drives to do this, so if you only have one, then don't worry about it).

Also, how many fonts do you have loaded into windows?

I'd agree with alumbagh, try trashing your preferences first (hold down ctrl, alt and shift when you start PS) and see if that helps.

HERE's a link to some useful information from the Adobe website.

Let us know if it works for you! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hey everyone :thumbsup: thanks for reaching out

I tried resetting the preferences...didn't work

I've tried everything and it is still doing the same thing...I open photoshop, click on file, click open - the open window flickers on for a split second and then the program freezes

I don't know how to check a scratch disk and I only have one drive

tried deleting large graphics files...nothing

you can clown me if you want to, but I really want to hillary...sorry, I mean cry :flowers: ...I have so much to do and I do it all through photoshop cs3

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

What else do you have open on your computer when you're running PS?

Are their any other issues with your computer-anything out of the norm or anything that doesn't seem right or acts weird?

The scratch disc is set via preferences (Edit>Preferecnes). While you're right there, go to Edit>Purge>All. If "All" isn't available, click whatever is. This dumps some temp memory I believe (I do it at work when the computer starts to lag and it helps to speed it up).

Also, the files you're trying to open-are they in a folder that has a file with layer, specifically a .psd file? If so, then try moving your .psd file (or any file with layers) to another file then try to open up things. If you have a .psd file saved on your C: drive, put it in a folder (any folder, you can even make one).

Let us know if this helps at all! Keep your chin up, we'll figure this out! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Hi :thumbsup: (that smile is a front, I'm actually dying inside)

I'm answering the questions in the order you posted 'em, kay?

No other programs are running

Will try the purge all deal..okay, just went there, nothing says purge...can only adjust cache/history levels and things like that

tried making new folder for all PSD files...same problem, every single program in my Adobe Photoshop Master Collection CS3 will not open a file

I'm at wits end

#8 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:34 PM

I don't know if this means anything at all...but I was trying to see what WOULD work in PHotoshop CS3 and when I clicked on Device Central, it said that my product license expired

that was the only message I've gotten thus far

yeah, I must be pissed and frustrated...I said "thus"

:thumbsup:

#9 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

it said that my product license expired

Uh oh. That doesn't bode well. And do you know that to be true? If so, that would certainly seem to be the root of your problems.

BTW, have you tried creating a new image from scratch and saving it?

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

I don't see how a product license can expire on a version of PS, unless it's a demo or trial. Is the license for something else?

Try this-open up windows explorer (short cut is the windows key and "E"). Minimize it. Now, open up PS and maximize it (so it takes up your entire screen). Go back to windows explorer, and make it so that it takes up maybe a quarter of your screen. Find a photo in windows explorer and with your left mouse button, click and hold, then drag it over the background of photoshop and release the left mouse button. This is another shortcut for opening in PS.
Posted Image

#11 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hi, Steve :flowers: and everyone

I will definitely try that...because I was able to open PS files from my desktop and they would open in the program...I haven't tried saving anything, I just closed out after it opened successfully.

I'm at work, but I'm eager to try this quick fix as I think it just may work!

The person who installed Adobe Photoshop CS3 Master Collection on my pc is an IT person and supposedly gave me a registered or corporate transferrable copy. I've had it for a while and this is the first time I've seen any message referencing a license expiration.

I will let you know how your suggestion works later on tonight *keep your fingers crossed for me*!

TERRI!

and to DIALER: same thing, I don't think that I had anything with a "trial" foundation, yanno? and if the programs were trial version, would they open at all? Because I'm able to work within it, like opening a new PS document, or opening a PS document from another area and working on it...I just can't access my file folder to open something by using the FILE>OPEN command in Photoshop...thanks for speaking to me about this :thumbsup:

#12 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Terri, yep, I had been thinking along the lines of a trial or demo version, which often are workable for a limited time period or with limited features. But given your explanation of its origins, I can see that's not the case. You might want to check with the person who installed CS3 for you to see what he or she might know about the license expiration message.

#13 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hi Dialer and Steve :inlove:

First, thank you sooooooooooo much for even taking the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated, you made me feel like we've been friends for a while! :trumpet:

I'm happy because Steve's "quick fix" worked and at least I can open my files to work on them, by opening Windows Explorer and dragging the file into Photoshop - THANK YOU - :thumbsup: I'm still ticked that something is malfunctioning with Photoshop, but at least you've enabled ME to function until I can afford to pay someone to look at my pc

I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you (all of you) are truly great. :flowers:

#14 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi Terry,

I'm delighted that Steve's fix worked for you (and that you didn't have to drive off that cliff!). :flowers: He's one smart dude, for sure. :inlove:

This really is an incredible community. I feel so fortunate to have stumbled across it and all the terrific folks here who are so helpful. I'm still very short in the technology arena, but because I've received so much assistance here, I try to help out when I can.

BTW, a belated :trumpet: to BC. :thumbsup:

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm sure that if it wasn't me that figured out a quick fix, then someone else would have! :)

Hi Dialer and Steve :cool:

First, thank you sooooooooooo much for even taking the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated, you made me feel like we've been friends for a while! :trumpet:

I'm happy because Steve's "quick fix" worked and at least I can open my files to work on them, by opening Windows Explorer and dragging the file into Photoshop - THANK YOU - :inlove: I'm still ticked that something is malfunctioning with Photoshop, but at least you've enabled ME to function until I can afford to pay someone to look at my pc

I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you (all of you) are truly great. :thumbsup:

Don't bother paying someone to check your computer just yet-you've got an entire site here full of smart folks just itching to help you out!

To try to fix the problem (rather than work around it), I'd uninstall then reinstall it (with a computer restart in between). This might fix it, or it'll waste 10 minutes of your life that you'll never get back! :woot: :cool: Kidding of course!

If that fails, then if it were me and for my own piece of mind, I'd try these steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 HERE, but do not post a HJT log (unless you find that you're computer is really infected). This would just help to rule out that malware is playing tricks on your computer. I know, it's probably unlikely, but IMHO it's worth the time.

Let us know how you do with this! :flowers:

Edited by stevealmighty, 12 January 2008 - 09:38 AM.
Added link in HERE which I forgot initially....see next post!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users