Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Cannot Access The Specific Device, Path, Or File. You May Not Have The Appropriate Permissions To Access The Item.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

Whenever I try to open a PDF file, I get the message that there is a problem with my Adobe Acrobat Reader. After clicking OK, I keep getting this message:

Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

which is under the heading of:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alfio\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5JII7HDM…

The letters & numbers at the end (after "Content.IE5\" are not always the same.

I've installed and uninstalled the newest version of Acrobat, but still get the same result.

Someone suggested using a different program instead of Adobe's, which I will probably do, but I'm more concerned with the idea that the problem is related to my registry.

I also cannot download the Adobe Flash Player, so maybe it is just an issue with Adobe programs on my computer, but this only started happening after I had to get rid of some viruses on my computer. Everything else seems to be fine, with no more virus problems, but I don't know how to go about dealing with this permission issue.

Thank you.

Alfio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:02 AM

Hi there phegmmaster! Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try this, go to Kelly's Corner ( http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm ) and download #12 on the left side ("EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP"). It's a .reg file. Save it to your desktop then double click on it to merge it into your registry. Then reboot.

Let us know the outcome!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:04 AM

Also, after trying Amazing Andrew's fix you could try running the System File Checker (SFC) to repair any corrupt or missing system files.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

Greetings!

Thanks for the suggestion, Amazing Andrew! Unfortunately, it did not help my computer issue.

Thank you, also, Budapest! I haven't been able to find my Windows XP installation CD, so I haven't tried running the SFC yet. The instructions say I can do it without the CD, but I'm not too comfortable messing with things on my own, unless I can follow the instructions step by step.

I don't know if the SFC thing would show this, but could I just have a bad area (sector?) on my hard drive that is causing this problem? A while back my computer let me know that my hard drive was going and that failure was imminent. I backed up all my stuff, but I haven't noticed any problem...well, except for this Adobe issue.

Anyway, thanks all for trying to help!

Hope you have a Great 08!!

PhlegmMaster

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

Try running Check Disk on the drive.

Go Start > Run and type: chkdsk /r

It will probably ask you to reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:53 AM

Hi, Budapest,

Thanks! I'll try the Check Disk in a short while. Right now I'm looking at Adobe's help site, and it suggests runing the SubInACL tool from microsoft which may clear up a registry issue that may be hampering my download of Adobe Flash player. What do you think of this tool? I'm willing to try it as long as I don't make matters worse! I just made a new restore point just in case.

I just tried to download Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools because the instructions for the SubInACL tool say I need to put it with this location, but when I tried to run Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools I got the same message about permission:

"Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Aargh!!

PhlegmMaster

Edited by phlegmmaster, 11 January 2008 - 07:10 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

While you cannot open a pdf file from the web (that's what's in the Temporary Internet Files), can you open one that's on your Desktop or in your My Documents folder? If so, then it's likely a permissions issue on the Temporary Internet files location.

The SubInACl tool is a very powerful tool and can mess things up for you. Could you post a link to the article that suggested this?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hi, John,

Thanks for the info! Here is the Adobe tech link:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...b&sliceId=2

It does stress the risky nature of using the SubInACL tool.

And, you were right about being able to open the PDF file from my desktop, or from one sent to me by e-mail!

So what would you suggest I can do to help me fix my Adobe reader, and more importantly, download the Adobe Flash Player, without which my kids cannot use some of their Nick sites, or I cannot watch anything on youtube?

Would re-installing windows XP solve anything? I found my installation CD.

Thanks again!

Alfio

Edited by phlegmmaster, 13 January 2008 - 11:08 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

Possible alternative program for viewing .pdf files: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

I tired of Adobe Acrobat Reader and it's "let's put files everywhere" approach.

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

OK, you can open PDF files with Windows but not with your browser.
You cannot install Flash Player (which interacts with your browser a lot).

It's likely that these 2 issues are related - so I'd suspect that the issue lies with your browser (Internet Explorer)

If you're using Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) try these steps (if not, let me know what version and we'll work with that):
- go to the Tools menu in IE7 and select "Internet Options".
- click on the Advanced tab, then on the "Reset" button,
- in the next window select "Reset" again.
- close and reopen IE7 and see if you can read PDF's or install Flash Player.

If not, then we'll have to uninstall IE7 and see what happens with IE6.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hi, John,

I went ahead and reset IE7, but to no avail. I have had IE7 for a while with no problems. This issue with Adobe came up after a virus had infected my computer and I ran some stuff (under the guidance of a BleepingComputer helper) that cleaned everything up nicely, but I don't know if my problem now is a result of the initial virus or the clean-up effort.

Would a reinstallation (in-place upgrade?) of windows XP help resolve this issue with my not having "permission" to the temporary files?

Or do you still suggest I try IE6?

Thanks!

#12 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

ptss...try using firefox :flowers:
sorry you already did try that,but I didn't read that your use other browsers.. :thumbsup:

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

I suspect that a repair install of XP will fix the problem - but I'd try uninstalling IE7 first (a less invasive fix). The issue with a repair install is that you'll have to sit through many, many Windows Updates - and that's a real PITA IMO! :thumbsup:

There are also fixes for registry permissions and file permissions that we can try (although I prefer the repair install to them because it's easier to perform).

To remove IE7 - go to Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs and scroll down the list to find it (it's either under the I's (for Internet), the M's (for Microsoft), or the W's (for Windows). You'll have to remove IE7 before doing a repair install anyway ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 ), so it'd be advisable to test IE6 to see if it works properly with the PDF's. If it does, then a repair install isn't needed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users