Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question: Which Is The Best Backup Utility?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:49 AM

I'm currently in the market for a new backup program. Ideally the program will be freeware, able to do incremental and differential backups, compress the backups, and be relatively speedy.

Until recently, I used the built in backup program in XP pro. While it's a serviceable app, I want more! I tried Cobian Backup but it would literally take 12 to 14 hours to backup my computer where the NT backup took only around 4 hours!

Then I tried DriveImage XML, but it doesn't seem to be able to do differential or incremental backups.

I tried a few other programs but I'm not happy with any of them and am still using NT Backup.

So what program do you use? Any recommendations, warnings, or horror stories to relate?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

Long ago, in a world far far away, (Denver, in the 80's) I used a program called My Backup. It was cheap and very easy. I found THIS DOWNLOAD for a program with the same name. I don't know if it's the same one, but the price is right... :thumbsup:

edit: got confused on my link....

Edited by Wildabeast, 10 January 2008 - 04:59 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

I like SyncBackSE. They still offer a freeware download here (v3.2.14): http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware
More current versions are trial-ware (currently at V4.3.1.5)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users