Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Definately Infected With Core.cache.dsk - Popups Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 akirasplace

akirasplace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

Hello BleepingComputer,

I am a fellow tech and I never thought I'd find myself in this position.

Somehow I have become infected with popups. I use AVG Anti Virus, Adware, Spybot, HijackThis, etc all on my system very regularly and keep it fairly clean.

However today, somewhere along the line (i think from an advertistment on a regularly visited site), I have become infected!

My AVG started going nuts, I healed all the files, ran a scan and that was clean. However Spybot found that I have core.cache.dsk located in windows/system32/drivers.

I booted into safe mode and deleted this file and also disabled sys restore, deleted all temp files, and ran HJT (my log is attached) but it continues to rewrite itself somehow.

I have also ran numerous SmitFraud fixes to no avail. I have tried File assassin to no avail. I have searched the registry high and low and have deleted many keys but this file and it's popups from zedo still return upon every single reboot. Also, popups are in mozilla + IE. I have renamed the file in safe mode, but another copy gets rewritten on reboot.

Additionally I have followed all instructions found here with no success
http://www.pchell.com/support/poweredbyzedo.shtml

I'm out of ideas, please heeeeeelppppppppp

Attached Files

Edited by akirasplace, 10 January 2008 - 01:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akirasplace

akirasplace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

I went and formatted my computer due to lack of feedback

Edited by akirasplace, 13 January 2008 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users