Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus P5b Ethernet Port Refusing To Detect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LiftingShadows

LiftingShadows

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

Greetings to all forumites! First post here, so I'll try and make things as clear as I can. From the off, will say that I consider myself fairly computer literate (having built my own and tweaked it to my liking), so this may or may not give a helpful indication as to what kind of answers could be suggested to me. Also, my OS is WinXP SP2.

The problem I have is regarding my 5-month old ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP; or more specifically, its onboard LAN port. Externally, I can see it flashing a steady orange on the LEDs... but basically, it completely refuses to show up in Device Manager! All that comes up is the obligatory 1394 IEEE port, but there's no indication of it detecting the internal LAN. It's simply NOT THERE. I have so far tried:

—Simply installing the latest Marvell Yukon Miniport driver from the ASUS site, after having initially tried from the ASUS installation CD; no difference made there.
—Checking the BIOS to see if all connections are enabled; all done so, and not a blind bit of difference.
—Restarting a shedload of times!

None have worked, and each time I groan with more dispair at the sight of seeing no LAN port or otherwise detected in Device Manager's network adapter tab, besides the 1394. This has so far completely stumped my attempts to get a Virgin Media broadband connection up and running. Help and stuff!

All responses much appreciated, from a desperate soul here. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

OK...your BIOS shows the 1394 port enabled...but Device Manager reflects nothing, not even an indication that a driver might be needed?

Did you employ the ASUS WiFi-AP Solo Wizard in setting this thing up?

Do you have the documentation for this motherboard?

http://www.crayeon3.com/c3/pc-1095-6-.aspx

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

which onboard lan, it has 2?

neither show up in device manager?

the rest of device manager looks good, no undetected devices like a chipset driver?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

I am not a fan of on-board network controllers, nor Integrated Video. For the matter of $15 you can go to Wal-mart and get a nice internal network adaptor. Plus, the PCI adaptors (or USB for that matter) tax the system much less than having integrated components

I have picked up 3COM cards for $5 each at computer shows. They go in like butter. XP sees it and installs it no problem.

I have an ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe and the onboard network adaptor stopped working. I have a Foxconn. Same thing. Also an HP.

Don't forget to put your incoming broadband cable connection through a surge protector! Overvoltage or lightning are 2 integrated components killers.

Good luck.

DR

#5 LiftingShadows

LiftingShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

OK...your BIOS shows the 1394 port enabled...but Device Manager reflects nothing, not even an indication that a driver might be needed?

Yes, BIOS shows 1394 enabled. To be as concise as I can, here's exactly what my BIOS says in Configure Onboard Devices, with everything else included:

Configure Win627EHF Super IO Chipset

HD Audio [Enabled]
Front Panel Support Type [HD Audio]
Onboard 1394 Controller [Enabled]
Onboard PCIE GbE LAN_1 [Enabled]
LAN Option ROM [Enabled]
Onboard PCI LAN_2 [Enabled]
LAN Option ROM [Enabled]
JMicron SATA/PATA Controller [Enabled]
JMicron Controller Mode [IDE]
Serial Port1 Address [3F8/IRQ4]

And subsequently, here's a screenie of my Devmgr. Plain as day, there's no LAN to be seen at all:

Posted Image

Also, I checked under each and every one of those tabs and found NO exclamation marks or anything else suggesting that something's missing or faulty.

Did you employ the ASUS WiFi-AP Solo Wizard in setting this thing up?

For everything, I used the installation CD – chipsets, USB drivers, onboard sound drivers, the lot. Bar the LAN, there have been no other problems in 5 months.

which onboard lan, it has 2?

Yes, there's 2. I would try to use the one that's lit up in orange... if it detected it.

Sorry for the 24-late response, but I work nights so I'm only able to fix problems during the wee hours of the morning! Keep any comments coming, though. I really need this problem sorted out, otherwise I'll have to tell Virgin Media to stick their broadband.

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

so one of the ports is constantly lit orange???its not some sort of error-indicator is it? check mobo manual...

goodluck
=)

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

I would suggest trying an add-on LAN card (they're cheap and you can usually return them) to see if it's detected by your system. It's possible that there is an issue with the onboard LAN not working and that's why it's not recognized in Windows.

FWIW - this has happened to me after a power surge through the network and I had to replace the NIC because of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

I kind of wonder if somewhere between bios and the chipset driver something's getting garbled. There are a lot hardware devices to route irq's to on that motherboard.

WinXP

Version 8.3.0.1013 2007/09/20 update

Description Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V8.3.0.1013 for Windows 2000/XP & 64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista(WHQL).

You did apply this newer driver?

http://support.asus.com/download/download....0Deluxe/WiFi-AP

I think I would turn off anything I wasn't using, that's what I normally do with my builds.

firewire network is the first to go, serial port, everything takes a resource

might even clear cmos first

voltage surges do strange things
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 LiftingShadows

LiftingShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

Delayed response again, sorry.

Over the course of the week I've been busy downloading all manner of ASUS drivers from the official site at my workplace (only have dialup here at home; and on this very same system, btw). Only now have I managed to update the chipset, sound, display and LAN drivers... but no results yielded. Still nothing except 1394 showing up in Network Adapters. I'm now thinking it may be a faulty moBo, but it's worked absolutely fine otherwise for 6 months now. Also, the orange light on the first port says to me that it is indeed working in some way; it's not completely dead or anything. More software-related than anything else, surely?

The only two solutions I can go ahead with now is to either a) back everything up, reformat and start from scratch [though that might be a total waste of time], or b ) do as some of you folks have suggested and buy a cheap LAN card. For the latter, it would seem like an awful waste of money to keep a faulty moBo... but then, doing an RMA would involve dismantling the semi-neat work I did when I built my system. :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

Onboard LAN (and onboard anything) ports die all the time...that's no reason at all to conclude that the motherboard is bad/faulty.

All of these onboard functions (video, sound, LAN, modem, USB) are included as courtesies by motherboard manufacturers...they are not legacy functions of a motherboard. All of the functions I named above have historically been added to a system by use of PCI cards and many users still prefer to add their own particular PCI card to obtain one or more of these functions.

So I don't get too upset if they crap out at some time :thumbsup:.

If you investigate, you will find that it's handy to have a spare NIC around when one relies on onboard NIC...and it's doesn't cost a great deal to buy one...and it's easy installation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users