Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Poorer Countries Afford A Meal!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

These sites have been out there for a while already, so I thought I might tell about it here. I was quite surprised when I didn't find these with the search option
Freerice is a site that tests your vocabulary. For each word you get right it is recorded and 10 grains of rice are donated to poorer third world countries with inhabitants that can't afford food. 100 grains of rice are all you need to give a meal to a person. So not only do you help fight world hunger, you also learn new vocabulary!

TheHungerSite is even easier to donate food. All you have to do is click the shiny yellow button.

Since this place is for helping people with computer problems, I guess it couldn't hurt too much to help people from third world countries, right?

Have a good day :thumbsup:

Edit: Update: due to increasing popularity, Freerice now donates 20 grains of rice for each right vocabulary definition!

Edited by skyfuser, 10 January 2008 - 12:25 AM.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

A bit more about 'Free Rice' ... http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/15/...in3509838.shtml.

Thanks. skyfuser, had no idea this program even existed until you posted - happy smile!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Yeah I have used free rice before. I have donated a total of about 10,000 grains of rice. I think that this game should be introduced more and maybe even theys should use TV ads to promote it.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

I live in Bloomington, and I went to the I.U. Ed. school. Now why in the world didn't I hear about freerice until now?
------
I just donated 1,000 grains of rice. Thanks for posting the information about these sites.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:48 AM

Free rice is quite recent about 4 months ago.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

I always check these kinds of claims out closely.

Although the program is overseen by a subsidiary of the United Nations (which does not have a good record),
it appears thus far to be accomplishing some of the goals it has set out.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

I have noticed that it has gone up from 10 grains of rice to 20 now, which is better.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

I just found an hour-long interview with the person who started freerice which was broadcast on WFIU on Jan. 4, 2008.

To hear it, click on John Breen on the following website: http://wfiu.org/noon.htm

His original computer site, TheHungersite, which donated to third world countries was started, or at least thought out, in 1999. He is no longer affiliated with that site.

The Free Rice site started in October of last year, which is why I didn't hear of it at the Ed. School. I had already graduated.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 January 2008 - 07:42 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for donating :thumbsup: I had no idea how unknown the site was.
If you can, please tell everyone to go there and help!
Cheers
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users