Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Possible Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joker4302

Joker4302

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

I want to upgrade my 2.2ghz P4 to a 3.0 P4 what i dont know is if my mb can handle it. I have a DFI NB73-EA board here is a link with the specs:

http://www.hardwarezone.com.au/reviews/vie...;cid=6&pg=1

I am wondering if it supports northwood or prescott types of cpu configs or just northwood. I also want to max out the memory can i go higher then 2100? i think i actually have 1GB at 2700 (2x 512) in it right now.

Also this will be my first cpu upgrade i have experience changing out power supplies, video cards, memory, hard drives, ect. pretty much everything but cpu's. Is there anything i should know when attempting this?

Thanks much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

According to those specs, it won't go faster than 2.53, you can put faster memory in, but the board won't allow it to run any faster than 2100. I'm not real up on Intel stuff, but I'm pretty sure of this... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Joker4302

Joker4302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

I cant find it now but i was looking at another website and it said the board was tested at 2.83ghz which was the fastest p4 chip out at the time, i am wondering if that is because the 3.0 wasn't out yet and it can in fact handle it?

anyone?

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

My mistake, I missed where it says

Intel? Pentium 4 Processors 1.4GHz - 2.53GHz or higher

, so you could be right, it could run a 3.0 pentium. If you change it out, make sure you use some heat sink, the paste that goes between the processor and the cooling fan, not a whole lot just a thin layer to cover. Otherwise your processor will over heat and your computer will shut down shortly, maybe seconds, after you start it.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Joker4302

Joker4302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Ok thanks, think i am going to order the stuff from newegg and give it a try. Will my bios automatically recognize the new processor?

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

Yes, if it's compatable with the mobo the bios will pick it up and just keep going like it's always been there.... :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;name=533MHz

your board does not support 800 Mghz fsb

I would look up the manufacturers web site for bios updates and cpu's supported before ordering and if it looks like it would support those cpu's??????????

no 3 ghz from newegg

personally I wouldn't try, save your money for a new build
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

According to DFI support your board will support FSB 533 and a 2.8 ghz p4 with the latest bios update. The amount of performance gained would not be worth the expense. I would have to agree with Dachew and save for an inexpensive dual core. You could play with your memory timings and try mildly over clocking your system.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Joker4302

Joker4302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

hmm ok thanks guys