Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Pays Better? Networking Vs Programming?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whitehat

whitehat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi, I was taking classes in networking and at the same time trying to learn a bit of programming on my own, the teacher quit(great technical school huh?) so now I'm not so sure what I should do. all the references I look at says that networking pays better(way better) on starting wages..but I believe programming to be much harder... so I have a question.. what would be a starting salary for a sun java programmer?? realisticly.. thankyou!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:00 AM

It's a pretty interesting question. I really don't know what pays better. It depends on how good we are on our fields. But I don't like networking as programming.
I have worked as an Adminstrators for a company. Everyday I had stress. Everyday I received more than 50 calls from many departments to report something didn't work with network and so on. Really tired. But in other side it's good for my health. Because I must always "run".
And now my health is worse because I'm working as a programmer. I must sit on my chair 6 hours per day. My eyes was also "sticked" to monitor 6 hours too. You see, it's bad for health when man sit in a long time. I have now problem with my neck and eyes. But I have no stress. That is what I want.

Edited by rongchaua, 21 January 2008 - 07:01 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

This isn't something you should base on pay IMHO. I mean, I've always been into programming since I was about 12 when I got my first computer, and therefore, would probably do this when I leave uni'. I mean, if you don't like it, and find it hard, then maybe you should consider another area. Base getting a job on what you really want to do, you don't want to get in something you don't really like, just because you get an extra 1 an hour =]

Dan

#4 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

Base getting a job on what you really want to do, you don't want to get in something you don't really like, just because you get an extra 1 an hour

I think this is the best advice. However sometimes what we like, can not "feed" us. For example, I like reverse engineering and analyzing virus for security fields. But I can not find a job in this field, and so I must work as administrator, programmer as I said before. I can not do anything else. I must have money to live. And in my free time, I do my hobbys: reverse and analyze viruses. It's also a beautiful life. :thumbsup: .

Posted Image

#5 whitehat

whitehat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

thanks for the help guys... and I agree you should do something you like.. I just happen to like both(at least I think I do I'm still learning networking and can barely program anything...) so I was just wondering... thanks!!

#6 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

IMHO you will get paid what you are worth irrespective of what you choose to do. Make your choice, then learn and practice until you are really good at it. Then remember even when you are really good you have only just started!!!

Keep learning and practicing until you are EXCELLENT!! Then you may be lucky to be paid well!! Remember that these days it is easy for any script kiddy to produce a bit of code - usually bad or malicious. True professionals are very few and far between - but very well paid!

At IBM we were told "if you aim at being good at something and miss then you will only be mediocre; if you aim at being excellent and miss then you will be very good"!!

Alan

Edited by Alan-LB, 05 February 2008 - 10:39 PM.

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

if you aim at being good at something and miss then you will only be mediocre; if you aim at being excellent and miss then you will be very good

Good life advice too....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users