Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Harddrive On Ide Ata Interface

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joejimbo

joejimbo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

My harddrive space is starting to run out and was shoping around for a new harddrive when I ran into those high capacity SATA drives, the problem is that my computer is quite old and thus cannot connect sata devices to it. I know there are SATA to ATA adapters but am concerned whether there would be any complications using this method? thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

Using a SATA to PATA will result in the transfer rate being limited to that of the PATA. The transfer rate of the PATA tops out at about 100kbps and the SATA starts out at 150kbps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

You can buy a PCI card that will allow you to connect the SATA drive. They run from $10 up. I think I spent $60 on mine.

Here is a link to a page full:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=And&Page=2

DR

This is the one I got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16816102062

Edited by rigacci, 10 January 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

rigacci jogged my memory, the PCI card is the way to go if you are going to use a SATA, there are cards that will support both generations of SATAs which means tranfer rates of 3.0Gbps with the 2nd generation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users