Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Installing My Games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

First let me start off by wishing you all a happy new year :thumbsup:

So buisness at hand..

I'm a gameaholic, and some days ago my Hitachi Deskstar (aka Deathstar) crashed and kept making clicking noises. I'm getting RMA on it (I hope) but I had all my games there. Now some games won't install and gives me errors and the only thing I can play is World of Warcraft. I don't wanna format AGAIN so can you please tell me if there is a way to get them "uninstalled" from my system so I can install a couple to my 80gig WD drive and the rest to my new Hitachi when I get the RMA.

Please, this sucks, first my 320gig drive borked itself and now I can't even install my games. :flowers:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

Well do you mean you need to get your games off your old Hard Drive? If the drive is dead then its dead, sorry I don't think you can. But if its some thing inside the hard drive ( hopefully not the disk ) you could open it and transfer out the disk to a differnt hard drive but I wouldent recomend it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

But if its some thing inside the hard drive ( hopefully not the disk ) you could open it and transfer out the disk to a differnt hard drive

No, you can't open a hard drive and simply transfer the platters to another drive. It's not like changing a tire, any old spare will do. As soon as a hard drive is opened, dust fills the inside, and the platters can not be used. Hard drives are assembled in sterile, dust-free, assembly rooms. opening up a hard drive in anything less than those conditions means you have zero chance of recovery.

but I wouldent recomend it

But you just did. I saw it. In fact, I quoted your recommendation.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

If you are talking about installed games, as opposed to games which have not been installed...you could try cloning the partition to another partition or drive, using suitable software.

For example, I have Partition Magic 8 and Drive Image 2002. Each of these allow me the opportunity actually clone an entire partition to another drive. By cloning, I preserve all installed programs, Windows updates, and data files...exactly as they exist currently.

The problem that I see with that is...what if files are corrupted when I clone? They will also be corrupted on the cloned partition, even if the drive itself has no problems.

You could also employ backup software which will make an image of the entire operating system and all files...which could then be restored to an empty partition. Examples of this type of software include the aforementioned Drive Image 2002, Symantec Ghost, and Acronis True Image. Same potential for corruption applies.

If you have backups or CDs for these games, then the best way to go would be a clean install of the O/S on the new hard drive.

Louis

#5 DVtriple6

DVtriple6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

Well do you mean you need to get your games off your old Hard Drive?

No. I meant to get my games uninstalled from the OS (which was on another drive, of course).

About back-up, how do I back-up 200+GB?? That is without using a drive only for back-up, I was planning to get a BD burner later on but heh.. no need for that now :flowers:
Ughh.. I need to send this drive for RMA.. I've forgotten about it. Having 20GB free sucks :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users