Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Is Slow For No Apparent Reason

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

I have two computers hooked up. Both ran the internet pretty fast until a few days ago when I noticed a significant slow-down on my laptop. The other one runs pretty fast still, but this one takes a lot longer. It's a hell of a lot newer and faster too. I am wondering if there is a way to check if something bad is installed on my computer that is messing with my internet speed? Nothing suspicious appears to be running in the process window.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

Try using Ad-aware or Spybot Search and destroy. Thats about the best I've got to say, but i suppose you could also try cleaning your computer to get rid of all the dust...

Also, you can always reboot the router.

Do you leave your computer on all the time? I think it doesn't help for speed either...

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hello,

What sort of speed should your ISP be supplying?
Have you tried any speed tests for example http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...+test&meta=
Regards,

Alan.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:17 AM

if the machine itself has slowed down significantly for you to notice it, one needs to know what antivirus protection is on board and other protection , when last fully updated and run; also when did you past update Windows itself?How do the computers connect to the internet?

also; when did you last run a disc defragment ?

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

To see what processes are running, press the Ctrl, Alt, Delete keys at the same time.
This will bring up the Task Manager.
Under the Applications Tab, you can see whats currently running and the CPU usage.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

It has nothing to do with the laptop. It runs fine. It's just the speed of internet pages loading. I can download at the speeds I should be, I can play games and get pings of 20-50, but for some reason just using my browser (both firefox or ie) it loads pretty slow.

just did a test

google took 6 seconds to load.

Edited by Taylor Hewitt, 14 January 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#7 Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

That looks quite good, the download and upload rates are acceptable.

You have a decent connection, however if you want to squeeze a little bit of extra performance from your connection this guide worked well for me. http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ remember back up and if you aren't sure about an area, ask a question.

Do you know what package you are meant to be recieving from your ISP? it could be that you are not recieving what you are paying for.

Also, cleaning your temporary internet files and cookies might help things a little bit. ccleaner will do this for you http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by nigglesnush85, 14 January 2008 - 04:02 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

I am also on Rogers. Your test figures are better than mine but I'm not running slow. Have you looked at your network connections? That would seem to be a good place to look if one computer is OK and the new one isn't.

#10 Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

The internet connection speed is fine. It was as fast as it was supposed to, then all of a sudden it wasn't.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

If you are sure that there is nothing wrong with your ISP, specifically upgrading the line and so on, then It would probably be something on the computer that is affecting the speed.

I would recommend flushing your dns cache, to do this, go to start->run->cmd->ipconfig /flushdns
Regards,

Alan.

#12 Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, didn't do much.

I'm going to reformat my computer in a few minutes. Nothing like the clean feeling of reformatting, heh. Not my favourite thing in the world but at least I've got a backup PC to use while it's doing it's thing.

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Ok then,

Let us know if it workes.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic