Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Keyboard; Function Keys?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mpdca

mpdca

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

I have a new MS wireless comfort curve keyboard 4000 connected to my dell laptop (xp-pro). There are function keys at top of keyboard. On top of each is a word (such as Open) which works when I press it. There is another word on front side (F3 for example). I cannot figure how to use the function keys for Word 2003 and Word Perfect 13. I am trying to use the alt F3 key which is reveal codes in Word Perfect. I have tried to use each of those keys with alt, or ctrl, or alt+ctrl, shift, etc. i searched MS support site for a way to activate the function keys, without success. I can go to the laptop and press the keys but it is less convenient than using the new external keyboard.

This is my first time to use this site...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

I believe they usually come with a software disk. That disk often will have a program for assigning each key to do a specific function.

Do you have any disk like that?

DR

#3 mpdca

mpdca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

Yes, I used the disk to set up the wireless keyboard and mouse. The progrm in IntelligType Pro 6.1 I just tried to access the contents of the disk and I get the message that the softward is already installed and I need to remove it before installing again. What that means is I cannot access the files on the disk.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

If I understand all this :thumbsup:...

You can disconnect the wireless dodad...then boot into Windows and uninstall the wireless system (using Device Manager)...and then try reinstalling it again.

You can also remove any ancillary programs from Add/Remove Programs that might have co-installed with the drivers.

Louis

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

When I had a keyboard like that, the software installed a Control Center that allowed you to specify what each key did. Some people use Eudora for their mail, some use Outlook Express, or whatever. You point the key to the path for the specific function you want.

Have you a Control Panel of some sort, for that keyboard.

DR

#6 mpdca

mpdca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

You are so right! I found the proper place. The "key" is to use the F Lock to change from the top of key to the front of the key. Once one knows where to look it is not so hard! Thank you!

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

:thumbsup: B) :huh: :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users