Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost All Of The Items From My Add/remove Program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adi321

adi321

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

hi guys i hope u lot can help me, today i opened the add and remove progams in control panel,only to find that all the installled programs and updates etc were all gone,the page was blank.also i could not even close or minimize add and remove even using ctl, alt, delete.but i have found somethig strange in the WINNT folder,there has appeared a lot of uninstall folders which was'nt there last time i looked.this is a copy of one of the folders names $NtUninstallKB823182$,when i open this is whats inside this folder (another folder called spuninst and cryptui.dll (when i open spuninst inside are, empty.cat+spuninst.bat+spuninst.exe+spuninst.inf)the pc is win 2000 pro with all service packs and updates,internet explorer 6.0 i have tried to reboot but no difference i hope that someone can help me cuz i feel lost today thanks for now :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hello,

The files you refer to are windows update uninstallers, they are there just in case you want to uninstal an update.
I suspect the reason that the add/remove function takes so long to display because of lack of resources, if you open add/remove and leave it I imagine it will load in a while.
how much RAM do you have installed?
What processor are you using
Regards,

Alan.

#3 adi321

adi321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

hi nigglesnuse85[alan] my system info is

-----------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/11/2008, 03:38:32
Machine name: ADI-A7M
Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
BIOS: Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 1500+, ~1.3GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 320MB used, 543MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINNT
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode
when i open add and remove it opens but goes blank after a second and stays blank i left it over a hour but it did not change and it was not in the task manager thanks david

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

Have you checked the event viewer for a specific error? also you could try start run sfc /scannow
Regards,

Alan.

#5 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

OPen add\remove and press CTRL+ALT+DEL
In Task Manager:

Look for a process labelled rundll32, if thats got high CPU usage, then Add\Remove is still checking entries. If not, then run sfc /scannow to see if there's a corrupt file.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#6 adi321

adi321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

hi tswsl1989 i did as asked put they is no rundll32 cpu usaged at 1% so i looked i system32 folder nothing in that i all so tried sfc/scannow put i do not have disc as it was pre in stalled can you think of any thing to help your david

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

Start -> Search
All files and folders
File name: i386
Look in: C:\windows\
Search

If a folder gets found, then when SFC asks for the CD, click browse then enter the path from search (the bit from the "In folder" column (e.g C:\windows\), then i386, so something like C:\windows\i386\) instead of the CD drive.

If not, you need to get hold of an XP CD. If SFC is asking for a CD, it's almost certainly found a corrup\missing file.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users