Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Applets Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

At Secunia I received this error message:

Warning: Your system does not appear to have Sun Java installed. Sun Java is required for the Secunia Software Inspector to work. You should consider downloading the latest version of Sun Java from http://www.java.com/ before continuing. Press "OK" to proceed anyway.

I clicked OK, and got this message:

There might be problems loading the Java Applet in your browser. If you are sure that Java is installed and functional, then please press OK to proceed anyway.

Proceeding "anyway" leads nowhere. I've also checked on other sites that load applets, with no luck (and no error messages, either).

When I logged on to a different user account, I had no problems loading the applet. I have been comparing settings between the two accounts and can't find anything java related (that I know of) that would account for my problems. I've looked in the following places:

Manage Add-ons - all four categories
Internet Options
Task Manager - both Processes and Services.
Event Viewer - absolutely nothing related to Java (I looked in every single log)

Can anyone suggest other places I might look for discrepancies? Thanks.

Edited by Dialer, 09 January 2008 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

This seems like a simple guide to get you started
http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Thanks so much, Mark. I'm working my way through the suggestions now. Will let you know any results.

#4 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Alas, I neither gained any muscle mass nor improved my Java situation by following the suggestions at that site. So unless anyone comes up with some more good advice in the next few days, I'll probably have to take the drastic measure of restoring various groups of settings to their defaults. It's never fun to clean up after that, but oh well....

Until then, I know that at least one of my user accounts can load Java applets.

Thanks for trying, Mark.

#5 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

:trumpet: :inlove: :flowers: :cool:

I give up. I did all sorts of restorations to default settings, compared everything I could think of between the two user accounts, and I still can't get this to work. Looks as though I'm destined to live with a dual user personality. :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

Almost all of the fixes I've found said to remove everything pertaining to Java. I'd even use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, then reinstall it
http://www.d-a-l.com/
http://www.neowin.net/
http://www.infopackets.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

I tried that in the past, but not with the cleanup utility. It's definitely worth taking another crack at it. At least I still have the original download file so I won't have to spend hours on that.

Thanks for not giving up on me, Mark! :thumbsup:

#8 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

Oy! I feel really stupid, but I don't quite understand the instructions for Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and what it does.

Am I supposed to run it first and let it do whatever it does, and then go to add/remove and uninstall Java?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Add/Remove programs first, then open the utility and check anything that has to do with JAVA and run that. I should add if there is any Windows Office apps. listed don't ever check those boxes
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Gotcha. Thanks, Mark.

#11 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Once I uninstalled Java, it no longer showed up in the Cleanup Utility list. But, a search shows a number of folders and some files still in users' AppData and subfolders, including some OpenOffice folders in there that have some java_settings files. (I uninstalled OpenOffice a month or so ago.)

Can I just delete the empty folders as well as the files? Would there still be some Java stuff hanging around in my registry?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

The empty files and folders, sure but I tend to get over cautious with the registry
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Me too, for sure. But since you and those links suggested that I "remove everything pertaining to Java," I didn't know if that included the registry. Will reinstalling Java overwrite any related keys that might be in there, or is there a possibility I'm going to end up with conflicts?

Sorry to be sounding like such a dolt, but I really need my Java back and working properly.

Can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate all the help you're giving me on this. :thumbsup:

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

You're reaching the limits of what I understand (does that make sense?) If it were me and my machine, I might mess with the registry. I don't feel comfortable telling you to do it without having data to back me up
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

Does it make sense? LOL - I say it all the time, so it sure makes sense to me!

I know that you're absolutely right not to tell me to mess with the registry, and I respect that. I also promise that if I do, I'll be sure to back it up first, as well as create a new restore point.

In the meantime, though, I think I'll start another thread about reinstalling Java and possible registry conflicts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users