Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Money.....being Spent On And For The Wrong Reasons

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

I think that this is a issue that no one has really listened to. Every day the world spends billions of dollars on things like cars, roads, new buildings and many others. When we think about it, did we really need them? Wasn't there another place that money could have gone to? A place like Kenya? We spend $750,000 on new curbs for the road. Can you believe that!? I honestly can't believe that the government has spent $750,000 on new curbs for the road. I think they should have spent that money to help people in need! I mean look at Kenya for example, 50c there, can feed a 5 person family for at least a week. And we are spending so much on things that are not really necessary. Does anyone agree with me on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

I don't beieve you're right.

You're right in how rediculus money gets slinged around for projects that don't need doing. However really Africa doesn't need more $$$ from U.S. now before I get bashed let me explain:

We've known that on avg. about 10% of the money we send gets to the right people, and is used on the right projects and for real aid. The rest is taken by Dictators, oppressive regiemes, and by warlords. The money is then used to buy weapons such as the AK-47 for cheap to put in the hands of little children to kill, or into their own bank accounts. We need a better way of giving aid out. Not only the above but now they are dependent upon $$$, we should be using that money to help jumpstart agriculture and businesses in Africa.

If the U.N. did its job, and all the nations were truly unified against poverty, injustice, and oppression the world would be a much better place, Instead the U.N. isn't "United" at all in any form, it's basicly a bunch of nations who disagree constantly, and beg for money from other nations, primarily the U.S. though. The U.N. has yet to act in it's true duties, as such the world suffers.

But thats just my personal opinion

Edited by ussr1943, 10 January 2008 - 10:43 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

I agree with you david28 but ussr1943 has an exceptional point.

In Australia the government are spending money on two.. what I guess you could call communities: Ropes Crossing and Nelson's Ridge.
Ropes Crossing is the one that gets to me.. because 1. its pretty close to where I live and work (well.. closest to where I work, 20 minutes from where I live)
- First and foremost. The government and councils are doing what ever they can to make the suburb town of St Marys look better. I dont understand why since they've put it in the industrial part of the town.
- The government are spending money on building a primary school and a high school there. When the nearest high school and primary school is only 15 minutes away and St Marys has two primary schools anyway.
- They are planning on opening a shopping center there when St Mary's has 2 already and there are plenty of local shops

I wish the government would use the money they are putting into that... place.. on improving the schools that already exist in the Penrith district (Dunheaved High and Cambridge Park High probably need the most improving) and using the rest of the money for things that we need; like things to help us conserve water, youth groups where kids can be reached out to and wher they can talk about their problems, drug counseling (alot of people where I live could use it- I don;t mean that in a smart arse way either) and improving our local areas. And also by donating some to places in need.

I might seem like a person who just wants to rant and rave about the governments decisions but am I really? Or am I just suggesting ways they can spend their money better.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:55 AM

Here in the US there is a commercial on TV, a lot, that wants us to send money because the group has something like 10 tons of rice it needs to ship to needy people somewhere. I can't help but wonder, after almost a year, how much did it cost to make the commercial and air it? And, if they didn't air it all the time, would they have enough money to ship the rice?

How much money is donated to worthy causes and pocketed by the dictators, or rulers? Millions of dollars were donated for the victims families of 911, and the victims of hurricane Katrina, here in the US. As far as I know, none of the families have recieved any money.... where is it??? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

I applaud your kindness and wishing to help others in dire need, david28 :thumbsup:

For myself, before I send money to any of the 'charities' (where others have mentioned, much of it vanishes prior to ever getting to those who are in such dire need), I think about the thousands upon thousands of homeless people in our own Countries.

Not just 'drifters' living out of cardboard boxes in the alleys ... but family, with children, who have become homeless through illness and huge expense, etc - and, in fact, wish our governments would take care 'of our own' before sending off billions each year in foreign aid andn loads that they know will never be paid back.

Yes, children are starving in Kenya - which is in itself, horrible!! - but children go hungry right here in our own 'ever so civilized and rich' Countries - huge sigh.

May I make a wee suggestion? ... a friend of ours found a young family in Kenya through her local Church. Not a 'charity', rather an actual family. And she and her husband send money-orders to them to help with food, schooling for the 3 little ones, etc. At least they know that the actual people are receiving the help with no 'middle man' involved. (Lucky them, they actually got to travel there last year and meet the family!).

- - -
Side note re the 'free rice' site ... I hadn't heard of it prior to seeing the message posted here in Bleeping so off I went to do a bit of digging. Apparently the founder does not take a single cent and all costs are covered by the commercial sponsers we see listed on the bottom of the pages, etc. Hope it's true but how sad in our world that we have to be so, so careful of 'charities' - another sigh.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

What about Kenya?

I don't think we should throw our money away on countries that refuse to change their ways. Sure keep the culture but lose that tribal mentality and come together as one people under a central goverment.
The World Bank gives assitance in the form of sound economic plans backed with loans to these countries. Whether they take advantage of this is another thing.
Join the global economy and thrive, seems pretty simple!
X

#7 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

What about Kenya?

I don't think we should throw our money away on countries that refuse to change their ways. Sure keep the culture but lose that tribal mentality and come together as one people under a central goverment.
The World Bank gives assitance in the form of sound economic plans backed with loans to these countries. Whether they take advantage of this is another thing.

Yes I hate people who "choose" to be third world. Like take the aberiginees(sp?) in Australia. They refuse to change dialect and language, they go out and kill kangaroos that they eat da mn near raw, and they have jumping contests to see who is more manly. And that is their whole lives. What a bunch of losers. I think that the United States should not give money to other countries until we get our national debt under control. And definitely we should quit going to war, but that is not going to happen since we are ruled by the world bank. believe it.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#8 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

I applaud your kindness and wishing to help others in dire need, david28 :thumbsup:

For myself, before I send money to any of the 'charities' (where others have mentioned, much of it vanishes prior to ever getting to those who are in such dire need), I think about the thousands upon thousands of homeless people in our own Countries.

Not just 'drifters' living out of cardboard boxes in the alleys ... but family, with children, who have become homeless through illness and huge expense, etc - and, in fact, wish our governments would take care 'of our own' before sending off billions each year in foreign aid andn loads that they know will never be paid back.

Yes, children are starving in Kenya - which is in itself, horrible!! - but children go hungry right here in our own 'ever so civilized and rich' Countries - huge sigh.

May I make a wee suggestion? ... a friend of ours found a young family in Kenya through her local Church. Not a 'charity', rather an actual family. And she and her husband send money-orders to them to help with food, schooling for the 3 little ones, etc. At least they know that the actual people are receiving the help with no 'middle man' involved. (Lucky them, they actually got to travel there last year and meet the family!).

- - -
Side note re the 'free rice' site ... I hadn't heard of it prior to seeing the message posted here in Bleeping so off I went to do a bit of digging. Apparently the founder does not take a single cent and all costs are covered by the commercial sponsers we see listed on the bottom of the pages, etc. Hope it's true but how sad in our world that we have to be so, so careful of 'charities' - another sigh.

Hmm, our government should only provide military support, and direct food aid in my opinion. Because those are the only things that we know are being used properly, since we are administering them. And the only time we should provide these are when people civilians and children are being killed through war crimes, similar to Darfur, but our government doesnt care about that, of course not, there's no money for us there!!!

But if citizens want to send money to countries themselves, whatever. Do whatever it takes to make yourself happy.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

[/quote]

Yes I hate people who "choose" to be third world. Like take the aberiginees(sp?) in Australia. They refuse to change dialect and language, they go out and kill kangaroos that they eat da mn near raw, and they have jumping contests to see who is more manly. And that is their whole lives. What a bunch of losers. I think that the United States should not give money to other countries until we get our national debt under control. And definitely we should quit going to war, but that is not going to happen since we are ruled by the world bank. believe it.
[/quote]

Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about.
So were the Aborigines 3rd world before Australia was settled? No! So what if they want to talk in their own language we admire the people and there stories of dream time...They dont have jumping contests, they are trible dancing, there lives are community family and culture...AND WE AS AUSTRALIANS ADMIRE THAT! I dont care what the USA does with its money. Whats the difference of them eating a Kangaroo, to a hunter killing and eating Deer?

Edited by Monty007, 05 February 2008 - 12:42 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:41 AM

What about Kenya?

Do you know what projects are running in these countries? Farming, education ect.
Joining the global economy and thriving is not that simple Im afraid.
MCP
MSDST

#11 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

What about Kenya?

Do you know what projects are running in these countries? Farming, education ect.
Joining the global economy and thriving is not that simple Im afraid.

The problem in these countries are too severe for us to worry about. If we wish to further our country and make it the best in the world, we shouldn't worry about all these little countries that don't mean anything. Seriously, some African countries could blow up and it wouldn't change the rest of the world one bit. Well there's a novel idea.

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

And when the US does aid Africa, where are the "Bush hates black people" folks now?

AIDS, malaria relief lauded.

If the US helps people in Africa, there are rantings about why we neglect people in the US.

If the US spends money on the needy in the US, people complain that we don't help folks overseas.

In my opinion, a lot of people complain for the wrong reasons.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#13 Garric

Garric

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

Well... if we are going to discuss bad spending policies, then let's look at the billions of dollars that Bush is spending on the war in Iraq. The fact remains, that 750,000 dollars spent to repair curbs is a good investment. Nobody wants to live in a crappy environment. Not only that, but when people are surrounded by things that look good, they tend to act better themselves.

It sucks that people are starving in African countries, but we each have to look out for our own country first, lest we become the third world country ourselves. The problem in these countries is the mentality. Already a lot of these countries have become dependent on food and aid, but are doing little to better their own countries. Money would be better spent teaching them how to make better farms than giving them food, teaching them how to work a better government rather than sending aid, and offering them trades and such of food for something else. If an African country doesn't have any good farming land, then they need to be making something trade worthy and import food from somewhere else. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't be living there, because it is a bad place to live. Move somewhere else. Even in the U.S. we have deadspots where no one really wants to live.

These countries need to learn how to support themselves, and there is no way in hell we should neglect our own street curbs to waste money on a country that isn't trying to do anything about the problems they have. Call me cold, but it doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Garric, 19 February 2008 - 03:20 PM.

#14 Mrs_Erceg

Mrs_Erceg

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

A friend and i were talking about this very subject the other day.

I think it is quite tragic and also shocking that the latest fighting airplane coming to Britain (whatever its technical name :flowers: ) costs 90,000,000 each and there are 40 on order....I dont think i even need to write a list of all the things that money could be spent on! :thumbsup:

I am a member of the society of friends. And there is a thing called the peace tax 7. It is something that some of us (people who are self employed/ have their own business) are doing where all the sums of money that go towards war have been worked out and these people deduct this amount from the tax they pay. Some (but not all) people have gone to prison for it, but i think it is a very commendable thing to do.

http://www.peacetaxseven.com/

#15 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

A friend and i were talking about this very subject the other day.

I think it is quite tragic and also shocking that the latest fighting airplane coming to Britain (whatever its technical name :flowers: ) costs 90,000,000 each and there are 40 on order....I dont think i even need to write a list of all the things that money could be spent on! :thumbsup:

I am a member of the society of friends. And there is a thing called the peace tax 7. It is something that some of us (people who are self employed/ have their own business) are doing where all the sums of money that go towards war have been worked out and these people deduct this amount from the tax they pay. Some (but not all) people have gone to prison for it, but i think it is a very commendable thing to do.

http://www.peacetaxseven.com/

Well, war is very necessary at times, so while I agree with your ideals I don't completely agree with your methods. Plus, my 400 lbs Aunt who's only source of income is the wellfare and medicare system, and EVEN SHE is able to scam on taxes. So, I think pretty lowly of tax scammers, while I'm in no way saying I agree with how taxes are payed, especially in USA.

I just don't understand why people try to fight conquerors and war mongerers with peaceful tactics. Don't you understand? They just destroy you. You MUST fight violence with more violence, if you ever want to see a change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users