Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nondaj

nondaj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Was in the process of playing solitaire on desktop when got a message that 'there is a problem in IE7 and we must shut down etc. etc." Then screen went black, PC shut down and restarted to desktop but had no icons. No amount of CAD would recover them. Had to hot shut down PC and begin again.

Is there something I am/have been doing wrong or need to check to see what did this?

I am on a Dell XPS 400, Win Pro SP2,
Dell XPS400 Dimension Video card Nivdia GeForce 6800
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2 Sound card Sigma Tel High Defin.
Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz Audio CODEC
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

I have AVG AV program
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-aware
Windows Malicious tool remover
Advanced Windows Care V@ Personal

Every so often I run the above programs to keep PC clean as possible and I make it a point to do a 5 point check of files to keep them from accumulating daily plus keep all program updated regularly.

Can advise what more I should be attuned to? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

#3 nondaj

nondaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

HamLuis - thanks for the valuable links to info regarding my problem. They were very helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users