Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Shuts Down In 1 Sec

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gannon33

gannon33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

Built a new machine and it shuts down in about a second. I was leaning towards a grounding issue. I have:

Asus P5K

E6750 core2duo

2GB corsair extreme DDR2-800

EVGA 8800GT

Antec case with 430W PSU

I got everything set up and mounted mobo in the original case which was a cooler master. Turned on power and immediately it shut down. Though it may be a cooling issue so I removed and applied new thermal grease. Checked to make sure no metal was touching mobo. Started again, still no change. In 1 sec it shut down,before any beeps. I swapped the case and PSU to the Antec as well as swapping the mobo. Before I left the store the tech checked everything out and showed me the mobo was working. I get everything home and mount the board again and we are right back to my problem- press power and it immediately shuts down. I can't see the mobo touching any metal in the case and it is on the brass spacers. I've built at least a dozen or so machines and have never had a problem. At this point not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions are welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Taking it back to minimum seems like the way to go. Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface. Make sure you have only the CPU (with HSF), RAM and graphics card installed; and that the needed power cables are connected. Then try starting it and see if it works (you can do it by touching a flat headed screwdriver to the power pins on the motherboard). If it doesn't then one of the essential pieces of hardware isn't working, likely the power supply.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users