Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enabling Thumbnail Views For .ai And .eps Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caveman08

caveman08

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hello, I have a side business making vinyl stickers and graphics. I use a lot of vector art(.ai and .eps extensions) which I have to IMPORT into my sign software. I have thousands of .ai and .eps files and I would like to manage these files in MY COMPUTER so I can group similiar items together in the same folders. However I'm finding this very time consuming. Is there something I can download(for free) so that I can enable the preview pane(or thumbnails in MY Computer) to show these files without having to import each and every file into my software? I do have a thumbnail viewer so I can browse the files, but I would like to be able to MANAGE the files.
I am running Windows Vista.

Thank You

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 11 January 2008 - 12:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 caveman08

caveman08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

So, does no one understand the question? Or doesn't anyone know the solution???

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

My guess is that no one knows of a solution for your specific issue. In the past, I've searched in vain for a way to view thumbs of Paint Shop Pro (.psp) and Photoshop (.psd) images through the Windows view pane.

However, I did come up with a bit of a workaround. I use the browser in PSP, which lets me see images in most formats, and I keep a copy of Windows Explorer open at the same time and use that to quickly and easily manage them. (The PSP browser would actually let me manage them, but I don't like having the thumbs constantly reloading in the browser.) I'm not sure if Irfanview, a free and powerful graphics editor has the same kind of browser feature, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

If you don't get a definitive answer here, you might want to PM a moderator and ask to have this thread moved to the Graphics forum.

Good luck, and welcome to BC!

#4 caveman08

caveman08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the reply, Irfanview seems to have a few bugs yet, don't know if it's got something to do with vista or what! I DL'd it along with all the plug ins and most of the thumbnails show red x's... I browsed a little bit and then it stopped working and shut down and supposedly Windows was searching for a way to fix the problem, however as many times as I've seen that box, windows never finds a fix! LOL Looks like I gotta lot of work ahead of me! I also have a lot of AutoCAD dwg's and Irfanview wouldn't show those either, even though the plugins say they should.... grrrrr I hate Technology!

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

Sorry to hear that IV has been buggy for you. It wouldn't surprise me if it has something to do with Vista, which I'm on, too, and can't stand!

I'm out of ideas. It might be time for you to get this thread moved to the Graphics forum, where it should get more attention from those who know a lot more than I do. Wish I could have been more help.

#6 AHABll

AHABll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Adobe Bridge with Gostscript maybe the right solution for you. However, if you do not have Bride, and Irfanview is not working well, then you could try Xnview with Gostscript.
Here is a quick walk through, hope it helps.

http://datascoop.net/graphics/how-to-view-...g-for-clip-art/

#7 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

You need to use Adobe Bridge, which comes bundled with almost any adobe software past the first CS(CS doesn't have it, CS2 does.)

I'll show .ai files, probably .eps, and any other adobe software file extension.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users