Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will I Break My Old Computer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

I have a very old computer that has been collecting dust for a while. I decided to use it as a dedicated ssh server for accessing sensitive information on the road as well as storing it. Here are the stats (hold the applause):
128 mb ram
500 Mhz processing speed
7 gb hdd
I don't want to sink any more money into this piece than necessary so beyond an 80gb+ hard drive I doubt I will have money for anything else. Which makes me wonder if the only operating system discs I have are XP pro and Vista business, will the low memory and slow processor break the machine? I mean I can replace memory if that fries but beyond that I don't want to spend more loot. I just don't want the thing to burn my house down. So, can I get away with running xp on 128 ram and 500 Mhz?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Technically yes you can do this. Your CPU must be at least 300MHz, yours is. You need at least 128MB of RAM, you do, and you will need at least 1.5GB of free space on you hdd, and you do. It will work, but you will be able to go brew a cup of coffee while you are waiting for applications to respond.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

It wont break the machine or burn the house down
It just wont run very well. It will be slow

Also we need to make sure that there are drivers for your devices.
Please post the make & model # of the system
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

That is about what I figured, slow but not harmful. I have an old laptop with 256 ram and 1.3Ghz and I ran remote desktop through it as an ssh server and it was tolerable. I don't think I will be routing my internet surfing through this thing, I'm just going to use it like a big external storage drive that I can access anywhere in the world, securely.

I ran xp setup and it installed correctly. Don't know the model number but I will get it after work. Just briefly clicking on things it would seem the video drivers work. One thing I noticed is that there is no network interface card so that might throw a wrench in the works unless I can just hook it up to the cable modem via usb. The problem with that is my mouse and keyboard are using the only two usb slots so I need to either get one of those conversion plugs or pony up the bread for the NIC. Like I said, I'll have that model number up here, maybe take a picture of my setup for the site (it looks like if Sanford and Son had a computer!)

#5 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

It will work, but you will be able to go brew a cup of coffee while you are waiting for applications to respond.

LOL

You'll be able to plant a coffee seed and harvest it, toast is, grind it and then make a coffee, before the application to actually respond...

J/K

Mav

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Meh, I don't even like coffee.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a dell l500cx.

The camera is a phone.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

Looks like it take PC100 memory and can take up to 512mb. If you could find 2 sticks of 256mb, it would make a big difference. I usually find good deals on older memory on ebay. I would also add a larger hard drive.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

Meh, I don't even like coffee.

Heathen! Get thee behind me, etc!

Have you considered a Linux distribution like Ubuntu? I have several old (older even then yours, one has only 32MB of RAM and a 200MHz Pentium I!) which just purr under Ubuntu 6.06 (not the latest version but still supported as a "Long Term Support" release). Plus the price is just right for you tight budget ($0.00 plus $0.00 tax plus $0.00 S&H = $64,529.67... no, wait...)

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

I never attempted Linux because I just want to get the thing up and running. I might try it later on if it works that well. And I mean coffee is ok, it smells good. I just don't like the taste that much and the caffeine has a negative effect on me.

A larger hard drive is definitely in the works, memory maybe way later down the road. Right now my biggest problem is that it has no Ethernet. Two phone jacks but no network card. So, I tried running it to the cable modem through usb but my modem doesn't want to use usb and Ethernet at once. So I need a network card or one of those ethernet/usb converters. As of now I'm not sure which route to go.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

Ethernet cards are pretty cheap. About 10 bucks
I like the Realtek RTL8139, never had a problem with them.
XP will just detect it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

To the computer store!

There is one at my local computer store for $15 + tax. I'm going to go get it in an hour or so and then see what I've got as far as getting on the network and serving files. Thanks for the input.

#12 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

had to pick one up from Worst Buy for $20 because the local guys were closed. Thing works great, now all I have to do is figure out how to manage and restrict incoming connections and eventually learn linux and put that on there because this thing is slooooooooooooow. I'm going to burn a linux live cd, I think Slax 5 KillBill and see how that treats me and go from there. It looks a lot like windows and is supposed to be very compatible so I hope I can learn to use it quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users