Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching E-mail Address To Another Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CapitalRep

CapitalRep

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hello all,

I've recently acquired the use of another computer at my job, and I'm in the process of swapping all of my files and data from my old computer to the new model. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to deactivate my e-mail account on the old computer and have all my e-mails be received on the new computer. On the old computer I went to Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings under Edit in my Netscape Mail (Try not to laugh) and cleared the account settings page. Next, I opened up Outlook on the new computer, went to E-Mail Accounts under Tools, and then switched the primary e-mail address from that of my former boss (it's her computer that I received) to my own. Trouble is, when I had a co-worker send me a few test e-mails, they would only be received on the old computer, not the new one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

unless I have got the wrong end of the stick (?) I think you are still needing to program Outlook on the new computer with the e mail addresses you wish to receive e mail?

#3 CapitalRep

CapitalRep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

Yup, that's correct. Sorry if I was vague at all, I was typing it all in a rush.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Have you successfully sent e-mail from your address on the new computer?

#5 CapitalRep

CapitalRep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

No dice. It just sent from my former boss' e-mail account, despite changing the account to mine.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

I've used only web-based mail for the last few years, but my recollection of Outlook Express is that there were a number of settings that need to be changed, such as incoming and outgoing host, etc. Outlook operates on the same principle.

So I'm wondering if you're sure you changed all the appropriate settings and not just the e-mail address itself?

#7 CapitalRep

CapitalRep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

I'm positive that's the case. Problem is, I have no idea what else to change.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

lets try this for starters then ;

from which address are you wishing to SEND e mails via OE ( what is the ENDING of the e mail ady ( (after the @ bit) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users