Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Fan Not On

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pcvictim

pcvictim

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:04 AM

I am new here and too fixing my own computer...my computer wouldnt turn on and so I tried a logical replacement by ordering a new power supply from newegg...shouldnt you be able to plug in the supply by itself and the fan go on...if so the fan on the new supply is bad out of the box...I then installed it and the computer was still dead no lights no noise...what should I do......thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

Are you saying that the new PS did not even work after you installed same?

What PS did you buy?

What are your system specs, please? If a boxmaker system, then the manufacturer and model.

Louis

#3 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

thank you for responding...yes the ps did not work when I put it in.....my comp spec are..

compac presario
5430US
series 5000
intel pentium 4 processor 1.8ghz
1gig ram pc2100 ddr
80gb hdd
64mb nvidia geforce 2 mx graphic card
16x max dvd rom
16x max cd rw drive

this is power supply from newegg
antec earthwatts model ea-380w

thanks again for your time

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

When you say that you had the PSU plugged in by itself does that mean that it wasn't connected to the motherboard? If that is the case then no it will not turn on without placing a jumper between the green wire and any black wire of the 20/24 pin connector to bypass what the motherboard does to start the PSU.

If the PSU is connected to the motherboard and still doesn't start make sure that the on/off switch on the rear of the PSU is in the on position and that you have it plugged into a receptacle which is on.

Edited by dc3, 09 January 2008 - 12:21 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

yes you are correct...I plugged the ps in and did not connect to mother board to see if fan worked..no jumper used...but then I connected it to the computer with all the plugs in place and not a noise or light was there..thank you

#6 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

I have checked both...switch is on i and outlet is working checked with lamp

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

Does the new PS seem any different (in terms of looks, features) from the one you removed?

I get a bad photo when I look up the Compaq PS replacement, but it looks like a "standard" ATX PS.

Can you temporarily put the PS in a known good system...and see if it works properly?

Louis

#8 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

this is power supply from newegg
antec earthwatts model ea-380w

is that compatible with the oem ps......sorry I dont have another desktop comp to try it on...only a laptop...thank you for taking the time to help me......can I just take an electrical wire and jump the green and black wire and see if the fan runs

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

You can use pretty much anything metal to jump the green wire to any of the black wires. MAKE sure its the green wire and not one of the other ones. The power supply fan should turn on. As mentioned above make sure the switch on the back of the power supply is in the on position (if it has one).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I have just used a paper clip and jumped the green wire and a black wire on the new ps and the fan works....thanks at least I know the ps is good ..right

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

I guess that points to the motherboard or some aspect of the case, assuming all connections are proper.

Louis

#12 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

what would be the next place you would check if this was your computer..remember anything obvious to you would not be to me and how would I do it....thanks again

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Connections, first and foremost, including on/off switch on PS.

And...I would still take the PS and install it in a friend's system (temporarily) and see that it works as it should...before I moved on to suspect the motherboard.

I always have a spare motherboard, but I don't like to suggest that the MB has gone bad until I'm sure that the PS is alive and well and connected properly.

Louis

#14 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:46 AM

my friend connected my new ps to his computer and it ran really good...so the ps is working I would guess..would there be something I can easily test on the mother board to see if it is dead or just something simple...thank you

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

The only test I know of for a motherboard...is if everything connected functions as it should.

Eliminating the PS is just a first step.

Really, the way that I test suspect hardware..is to switch it out temporarily to a known good system. That's not so easy to do with a motherboard, but it can be done if one has the time. Not sure it would be conclusive though, since connecting a motherboard properly involves several little steps, each of which can go wrong and produce an erroneous conclusion.

Some have ideas, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=H...t+a+motherboard

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users