Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With File And Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jandcmcintyre

jandcmcintyre

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

I have a desktop with Windows XP-Media Center Edition connected to a Netgear wireless router connected to cable modem. The laptop is Windows XP. Neither computer has a problem connecting to the internet, but when I try and share the printer that is connected to the desktop I get an error message saying "printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed". When I try and share files I get the message "An error occurred while trying to share My Documents. The server service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time"

I have run the network setup wizard on both machines, checked the ipconfig /all screens on both and they seem to be saying what they're supposed to be saying according to the netgear manual.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReallyNeatGirl

ReallyNeatGirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

First thing that you want to do is make sure that your server service is in fact running.

To access a configurable list of services, open the Start menu and click the 'run' command.

In the text box, type: services.msc and hit ENTER. This will bring up the services management window. Scroll down until you see the one titled "Server". When you find it, double click it and make sure that it is set to automatic in start up type, and then make sure that it set to started. If not, after you apply the change (if needed) to start up type, click start to start the service.

This will set it to start every time the computer is restarted if it wasn't before. You need to do this will all of your networked computers.

#3 jandcmcintyre

jandcmcintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

:clapping:Thank you, thank you, thank you. That did the trick. The network is now up and running!

#4 ReallyNeatGirl

ReallyNeatGirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users