Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Centre Showing 2 Firewalls?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:09 AM

Could anyone tell me why when I go into Security Centre and check the Firewall - my Zone Alarm is on (correct) but Comodo firewall is reported as being on also. (Comodo was uninstalled and everything i could think of to delete refering to comodo was deleted.)

is it anything to worry about?

Windows is saying that there are 2 or more firewalls

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

I doubt if it is anything to worry about, security centre rarely knows whats going on :huh: If you go to the search tool make sure it searches hidden files and folders and search for comodo. Also, if you go to start and run type msconfig select the startup tab and see if its there and then the services tab to see if its there. Remember to back up.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

This may be a daft question, but how do I 'back up' in Vista?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

While you should back up on a regular basis, you don't really need to back up unless you make significant changes. this link will explain backing up
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ils/backup.mspx

Did you find anything in msconfig or services.msc
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:55 AM

Nothing in msconfig or services for comodo. Would this mean that I dont have Comodo running anywhere at all? I dont understand why Security is recognising it - and even saying it is still on.

The Windows complete pc back up seems good - I understand that I would need 2 or 3 dvds to write it on wouldnt I?
I do I just need the Automatic Back up? just for files?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:21 AM

If comodo is not showing up in these locations, check the taskmanager, for cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe If those entries are not there, then the reason why security centre may be detecting them is probably due to a rogue registry entry

The ammount oF DVDs depends on how much you need or want to backup, I would recomend a system restore point.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

I am at work at the moment, but I will try the Task Manager tonight to look for those entries. If they are there, I take it I would just select END NOW?

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yes, you could do that, but then they would appear the next time you reboot. When you get back do a search for Comodo start->search make sure it searches hidden files and folders.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

Checked Task Manager and there were no traces - I double checked in start up and services ( noticed windows firewall was ticked in services - is that correct?)
I did another search - but couldnt find an option for 'hidden files and folders' in vistas search - but normal search found nothing

I even looked at the start up details in spybot search and destroy, but no traces of comodo

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:25 AM

Ok, it may be a stray registry entry, how did you remove Comodo? maybe re instaling then uninstaling might be able to fix it.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:55 AM

I removed it from its own uninstaller in programmes.
I have since deleted files all over the place, and now every search comes in clean.

I have a programme at work called 'CC Cleaner' which cleans internet but has a registry cleaner - are you familiar with it and do you think I should use it to clean the registry?

#12 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

On Registry Cleaning, check out this post on the forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry681622

And this link recommended by a BC member (who considers it as a MUST read):

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

While those links are an interesting read, they both refer to optimization and performance gains.
There are two main possibilities,
1 the registry still has an entry telling seurity centre that comodo is installed.
2 security centre itself is somehow damaged.
I would tell ccleaner to do a simple scan, don't tell it to fix anything while there are risks, a simple scan can't do any harm as it wont clean without your permission yet. just tell it to scan, search the list for entries containng security centre or comodo, could you post back what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

An interesting series of posts at their forums (may work in Vista also):
http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t6693.0.html

You can also search their forums for "security center" (without the quotes) and you'll find a lot of similar problems there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

I'm grateful for all your help - but I am a bit hesitant to mess with the settings on this vista laptop.

I have left it as it is for now, and there doesnt seem to be a clash. I know Comodo is not working - it simply cannot work. So for now I am going to ignore the Windows Security Centre saying it is working.

I have copied all your advise and tips, should something happen in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users