Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Low Audio

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rob76

rob76

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

Having read through the forum I have come across another similar problem, but without a resolution. [topic="Only 10% audio"] http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...90&hl=audio[/topic]

I too am having problems with the audio being VERY low. To start with I didn't think I had any audio, it was only when there was silence in the room, I noticed a faint sound. It was working perfectly for 5 months, until I went to play a film, and noticed the problem. (I have all the windows sounds turned off).

It seems to be the same sort of problem experienced by videoman449. I haven't installled or made any adjustments to anything (to my knowledge), but have tried everything videoman449 has done (and more), and all the suggested items.

'Videoman449 - did you ever get it fixedt?'

I have a Conroe 1333-D667 LGA 775. It has onboard 7.1CH Windows Vista Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec).

I have tested the microphone socket, through sound recorder, and it records sound no problem. Obviously, playback is at a minimal level. Increasing the volume by the sound recorder 'features' does make it louder slightly, but barely loud enough to hear.

New to forums... what info can I paste into here for someone to assist me, please and thank you.

Rob

Edited by rob76, 10 January 2008 - 03:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:07 AM

Are your speakers powerd? Did the power plug come loose? Check all your conections and make sure there isnt a roge pair of headphones plugged in somewhere.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 rob76

rob76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I do have powered speakers, but they are powered up ok. I tried a different source (mp3 player) to the speakers, and they are working fine.

No other audio output devices are connected.

Also tried different speakers with the same low output.

Rob

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

Take a look at the speaker icon and see if you can adjust the volume for wave and volume control.

Add Volume Control in Windows XP - http://www.petri.co.il/add_volume_control_in_windows_xp.htm

Louis

#5 rob76

rob76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the volume icon, which is there, and the Master Volume & Wave Volume are both at maximum, and are not greyed out.

A further note - all the drivers I have for the Bios, Audio, Display, DirectX, etc, have been updated to the very latest. Audio is enabled in the bios too. The fault was there before the updates, and is still there after updating. All rebooted after updating.

In the device manager, all the audio shows no problems, and the properties in them they're all enabled.

The systems information shows;

IRQ 16 Intel® 945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port - 2771
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS
IRQ 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D0
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB

Is it ok for them all to be sharing the same IRQ? If not, how do I change them to other IRQ's?

Rob

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Well...anything onboard can go wrong...for that matter, anything can go wrong :flowers:.

No sound card lying around?

Just for the heck of it, I would try removing all drivers for multimedia/sound...reboot and allow XP to redetect and install drivers. That's my standard MO for problems :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 rob76

rob76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I have totally uninstalled it, and the video card (just in case!), and let XP find them, and installed them from fresh. This had no change. I then updated to the latest drivers, and still no change.

Was thinking about putting in an old soundcard, but only got 2 channel ones. Something better than nothing I suppose!
Will get and do that (if I can find where I put them).

If anyone else has any ideas, then they are more than welcome to suggest something.
Is there any information I can put on here for someone to try and work out what the problem can be?

Got AVG 7.5 running, and PC all clear. Eset NOD 32 is running and PC all clear. Windows Defender running and all clear.

I think HiJackThis is all ok.

Not related to the audio, I installed PC Detective Pro recently, and am having problems getting rid of the icon from the icon tray at startup. Can't identify it in the startup menu. Any suggestions?

Rob

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Um, did you try and make sure the card wasn't dusty, come loose, or something like that?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Have you got a headset of any type sitting around?
I would be curious to see what happens if you plug a headset into the speaker jack,
Make sure you turn the mixer down to about half way before trying this.

Googling your motherboard only returns this thread.
Are you sure you posted the correct motherboard info?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

FWIW: IRQ-sharing is common and normally does not present system problems since the days of Win 9x.

Louis

#11 rob76

rob76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:03 AM

Thanks again for more replies.

Still haven't tried another soundcard just yet, as it is being reluctant to be found! That's what tidying does for you. :flowers:

It's onboard sound, so hopefully not come loose! :thumbsup: Board is pretty clean, but given it a brush and vacuum, to make sure. No difference heard.

Plugging headphones in, and again it is VERY quiet, even when turned up to full volume. I have noticed for the first time, that the sound that is coming out, is only from the right channel. Not an expert, but I'm now thinking more along the lines of a fault on the board, rather than software. Better find that elusive soundcard out and check that out.

As for the Motherboard - Ooops... yes I did make a typo, and even though I did check it, I missed it. I put 1333-D677 - it should have been 1333-D667. Edited it in first post.

Thanks for IRQ details. Not had any dealing with them since Windows sorted everything out for you. Remember the old days of having to manually set DMA and IRQ when I was a kid. Was more competent then than my old man. Got lazy these days.

Rob

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:13 AM

Looks to be you coverd about everything that I can think of. Your on-board sound is likely paws up :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 rob76

rob76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

I have managed to find out a CT5806 (Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)), and it installed itself without hitch. Changed all the settings for this to be the default card, and hey presto, there is sound again!
Looks like the onboard sound has gone paws up - hopefully not a start of things to come!

Thanks :thumbsup: for everyones help and assistance in trying to get it working. Will stick with this for now.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users