Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant Shutdown And No Retart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ekih

ekih

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

The last couple of weeks my computer has randomly shutdown several of times for no apparent reason. A couple of times when I was using it and other times when it was in sleep mode.
It is like the power is removed but I still see led light on the start button. When I try to restart by pushing the button nothing happens. I have to unplug the power supply cord for 15sec or so. Then I use the start button and all boots as normal.
I have thought of the power supply but that doesn't explain the led light on.
Is there a way to test the power supply?
Or is there something else that can cause a shutdown like this. CPU overheating?
Older Dell machine:
1.6gig hz cpu
512meg ram
128meg video
120 and 180gig hd's
WinXP Pro (all the updates)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

Over heating is one of the most common causes of this type of problem. Open the case and see if you have a dust build up on the CPU heat sink and fan assembley. If there is use canned air to blow it out, you should also look at the air intake area to see if that needs cleaing as well. If this isn't the case then let us know and we'll go onto the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ekih

ekih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

I have looked at that and all is clean. I did some work in the case awhile ago and cleaned it out.
Added hard drive.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

Look in the event viewer to see what errors are appearing there.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer. When Event Viewer opens double click on System on the right hand side of the screen.

Please note that each column has a title at the top of each one. Errors will appear just to the left of the Type column, they will be recognizable as a red dot with a white X inside. Each entry has a Date and Time, look for errors that occur at the times that you are experiencing this problem.

When you find an error follow it across the columns till you are in the Event column, the error will be express as a set of number. If you right click on these number and then choose Properties another screen will open with a definition of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions of what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users