Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Freeware Download Sites Are Safe?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LinkHylian

LinkHylian

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

I was going to download some freeware earlier today from tucows, but then I realized I don't know if it (or any other sites) only have clean stuff available for download (i.e., no spyware attached to program).

What freeware sites are good to use, in general?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

Have you checked out our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic?
Everything listed there, is safe.

A couple of the sites I use:
download.com
softpedia.com
majorgeeks.com
nonags.com

NOTE:
Always scan anything downloaded from the internet, with your Antivirus, before opening it!!
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:23 AM

I also like filehippo.com. And you might want to check out the free open-source programs at SourceForge.net.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

I have downloaded from Tucows without any problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 LinkHylian

LinkHylian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

Awesome, All! Thanks! :thumbsup:

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

Another good one.
http://www.snapfiles.com/

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

Like Dialer, I use FileHippo. So far, I haven't encountered any problems with this site.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

This looks like another good one.

http://www.freewaregenius.com/

#9 PsychOps_6

PsychOps_6

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

I have come across a few articles regarding assumed freeware sites and all pretty much appear worthless....the bottom line of freeware nowadays is either via torrents or deep web.  I have a few posts under the following site: (Link deleted) under the same profile name, nice to check it out.  Zero BS on bundled program packages....and you can find just about anything you want

Mod edit :-  I have deleted the link because it includes links to pirated software. this is in breach of forum rules :-

1/  The posting of any copyrighted material on our web site is strictly prohibited.

2/  No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Chris Cosgrove, Moderator

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2016 - 03:00 PM.
Remove link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users