Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Acrobat Reader Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hello.

Whenever I try to open a PDF file, computer tells me that there is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader. After I click OK, I get the message:

Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

which is under the blue heading of:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alfio\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5JII7HDM…

I removed Acrobat 7 and installed 8, then after no luck, removed 8 and installed it again, but still no luck.

I recently had a problem with a virus and cleaned things up; could this be a remnant of that problem?

If anyone is out there, please advise.

Thank you!

Alfio
aka PhlegmMaster

Edited by phlegmmaster, 08 January 2008 - 10:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

Adobe web site has a support site that has a few tasks to run through removing adobe products. Have a look at the link and see if you have a bit more luck http://www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html
MCP
MSDST

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

You might try http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php as an alternative to Adobe Acrobat and its ton of trash files.

Louis

#4 phlegmmaster

phlegmmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Monty007. I went there and tried to download the 8.1.1 patch but I the download would not proceed. I got the same message as before regarding not having permission.

I'm afraid this has something to do with my registry. I'm pretty much a novice at this computer stuff, but looking around on the Net, I came across stuff that made me worry (such as there being something wrong with my registry) but I do not want to mess things up even more by tinkering with stuff I don't understand!

Thank you, Louis for the info on the alternative reader. I'll probably go ahead and try it. I just want to find out if the problem is just with the Adobe software, or is the problem actually with my computer.

Anyone else run across messages such as:

" Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

under the heading of:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alfio\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5JII7HDM…

???

Thank you!

Alfio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users