Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selling Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GRY2

GRY2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

I'm considering selling my desktop computer and want to erase any and all personal info before doing so.
It is set up for wirelss also..should I uninstall/delete all functions of wireless?

I do have an "application" cd that dell sent when I bought the pc, but unsure how to use it properly.
Does it erase and re-install Windows completely?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Most likely it'll be best to try and re-install windows from that disc, but it erases everything on the computer's hard drive and restores it to how it would have been when you first took it out of the box. Doing that would probably be fine, but of course hard drives aren't completely safe even when you format it again, so I've heard. Its not likely to be recovered though.

I would ask the person you're selling it to and see if they want the wireless card, and if they do, also install the drivers for them. If they don't, I'd keep it so if I ever needed it for another new computer I could install it on that one.

The disc that says "applications" probably doesn't have windows on it, but its just got the extra junk that dell bundles with a new computer. If you've got a partition on your hard drive, it might be able to completely take out the stuff on the hard drive in your main partition, reformat it, and re-stall windows. depends how new it is though. On one of the computers I worked with it did, and it was called "destructive restore"

How old is the computer, and what dell model is it?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 GRY2

GRY2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

I dont mind deleting everything on the HD, but only if this cd at least reinstalls windows so I can show the pc to someone.....do not know a potential buyer..remains to be seen.

Partioning..now you're talking over my head,lol...know nothing about that.

It's a Dell/winxp sp2- de051. purchased late '06

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

thats pretty new then. If its got a big enough hard drive, it might just have a partition... Does "my computer" show that there are two hard drives?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

I would use killdisk the government trust it. You will need your system restoration Cd or access to a Copy of Windows XP this program will erase EVERYTHING on the HDD. You can use the free version.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 GRY2

GRY2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

To Vaerli...no just one local disk.

To sneaky........killdisk sounds good, BUT...I'm really unsure of this application cd I have..that it has
what I need to reinstall windows. Exploring the cd, it has Autorcd @ 176 kb, install with 9mb and shows
245 mb of zip files. Other than this, I have no other means of reinstalling windows.

Thanks in advance for your time helping, gentlemen

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

a restore/recovery cd would reload windows

your computer probably has a recovery partition, hidden? from my comuter

disk management would show it tho?

some dell utility or even a bios function might reload windows from it

then again they may have expected you to burn your restore cd

there were directions/manuals?

Edited by DaChew, 08 January 2008 - 09:02 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 GRY2

GRY2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

I'll look around for a restore/recovery disk.....

My computer shows only local disk....a friend tried to add a partition months ago
before setting up the wireless, but said there wasn't any room for it.(another partition)

Dont recall recieving any manuals, but I'll look for that also.

Thanks

#9 GRY2

GRY2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

To the moderator............

I'm going to try that killbox. If I don't post back here within 4 or 5 days, you'll know that this cd I have does not have windows on it, therefore rendering my pc useless and you can close this thread.
Thanks

#10 Omato3

Omato3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:13 AM

Oh please don't close this topic, lol. I've been thinking about taking everything off of my comptuer and starting completely over with reinstalling Windows Xp in the hope that by starting over my local hard disk will have room on it so I won't have to buy a larger hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users