Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Desktop Behaviour

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 david666

david666

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hi Guys.

I have read similar topics on the board, but I have recently come across a real peculiar fault this time.

I can be surfing away quite happily, when for no apparent reason all my desktop icons and taskbar will suddenly disappear, leaving me with just the desktop picture, and the cursor.
The only way I can get things going again, is to kill explorer.exe in the task manager.
What I find unusual at this point, is that explorer.exe has been using anything up to 190m of cpu, which seems rather a lot. However, I then run explorer.exe again from the task manager and everything comes back, but sometimes when this disappearing act happens, explorer.exe has disappeared from the task manager completely.
I have the typically characteristic slowdown in performance, and if I enable javascript, I am bombarded with virus warning popups and other associated garbage.
I have run a full virus scan using Avast antivirus, and a full error check, but apart from a couple of minor trojans which have been removed, the problem still persists.
I am afraid I have no idea where this pest could have come from, as I am not the only user.
I am running XP home with service pack 2

I would be extremely grateful for any advice on this one

Kind regards

d666

Edited by david666, 08 January 2008 - 05:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Hi there, :flowers: to BC forums!
Is everything on your system relying on just Avast?
Do you have the On-access protection turned on?
There are several things you can do to help protect and clean your PC.

Download SpyBot - Search and Destroy and install the program. After installing the program, click on Search for Updates and download what the program finds. Click on Search & Destroy and on Check for problems. Delete what it finds.

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware from Your Computer
Download Spybot - Search and Destroy

You can also try an online scan such as Trend Micro Housecall (IE/Firefox)
Your PC should also have a decent firewall. But since I don't have one I can't direct you to a good one.

Also to stop viruses getting onto your PC from bad sites check out This Thread
The problem with explorer.exe is probably a virus trying to do something. :thumbsup:

Hope that Helps! :trumpet:

Edited by Tomo2, 08 January 2008 - 07:53 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users