Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem in opening context menu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

Texas Angel & Megaman :

Thanks pals and sorry for the delayed reply since I got to see your very late.

It appears that I was locked out from opening all posts on the forum for about 3 days from the date of last post ( though could access the index all right )and immediately after viewing the post therafter I had to be away for a couple of days.During the period of hangup my Opera was reporting that " there is some problem with the database at bleepingcomputer" and an "error 145" was being returned .Strange isn't it since I had absolutely no problems in accessing other sites and forums during this same period.

Now to the topic:

1.My understanding regarding system resources is only to the extent of the following links from which it is clear these do not cause a problem uptil a level of 10-15 % and ,in fact, under test conditions it is possible to work uptil 0% sys resources.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#resources

2.I am a regular user of S&B and last used it about 2-3 days ago . However , following your advice I used it just now and was congratulated for no problems being found.

3.I already have HJT installed and following your advice did use it (immediately after viewing your advice) and the log report is as below :

---------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:44:58 PM, on 28-Feb-05
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PROXOMITRON NAOKO-4\PROXOMITRON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KERIO\PERSONAL FIREWALL\PERSFW.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OPERA\OPERA.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O2 - BHO: bho2gr Class - {31FF080D-12A3-439A-A2EF-4BA95A3148E8} - C:\Program Files\GetRight\xx2gr.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: WinIEObj Class - {371C6960-302C-45D0-9504-50B820247439} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\INDENTIX\WINGET\WINIE.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCREGWIZ.EXE /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet Wizard - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Wizard.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\AddUrl.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Parse with LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Parser.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with &WinGet - res://C:\Program Files\Indentix\WinGet\WinIE.dll/300
O9 - Extra button: Researcher - {9455301C-CF6B-11D3-A266-00C04F689C50} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Researcher\EROPROJ.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra button: Add to Trusted Zone - {BF80219A-CCDD-11d2-92D3-0000F87A4A55} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WEBZONE.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Add to Tr&usted Zone - {BF80219A-CCDD-11d2-92D3-0000F87A4A55} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WEBZONE.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Add to Restricted Zone - {B06300D0-CCDE-11d2-92D3-0000F87A4A55} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WEBZONE.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Add to R&estricted Zone - {B06300D0-CCDE-11d2-92D3-0000F87A4A55} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WEBZONE.DLL
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/1,0,0,7...pdatePortal.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 127.0.0.1

-------------------
4.Have just seen your bit about OFFICE repair option.I am sure there is one .Let me check this out and report .
Megaman-I would not like like to reformat unless it becomes absolutely essential.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

What are the problems you are having?

#3 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hi Grinler ,

Basic problem is : whenever I right click to open the Context Menu , the WINDOWS INSTALLER dialogue box is opened .On cancelling this - WINDOWS OFFICE XP INSTALLATION box is opened . It is only when this is cancelled that the context menu open . If this is not cancelled then I am landed with the demand for inserting Installation CD.

The problem discussed in detail with Texas Angel , Leurgy and others in the WIN ME forum.Besides the above there do appear to be some delays in opening the explorer - the icons coming up slowly etc.which are more of irritants than anythihg else.

I regularly use SpyBot.AdAware.CCleaner and MRUBlaster.

Thanks in advance.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:03 AM

Have you tried to let microsoft office install whatever it wants to?

#5 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:42 AM

Leurgy,

That is the exact problem-I do not want to install anything.The system on its own wants to install " Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page " and finally wants the CD inserted which I do'nt have . It is only when this dialogue also is cancelled that the Context Menu opens.

My own suspicion is that the problem is possibly due to the various system tweaks that i have done eg. disabling/removing System Restore & PC Health and trying to disable wmiexe.exe ( though not successfully since i still see it running in process explorer).

Pl do confirm if my problem has anything to do the modified OS which I presently am running or with any malware as may be reflected in my HJT Log.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

HJT log is clean. These problems generally go away once you let the required files get installed from the cd. Why its happening I have no idea

#7 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

Grinler,

Thanks.That takes a load off my mind.

As far as the problem with context menu is concerned , i can live with it - and in any case solution may emerge from the forum on ME.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users