Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleepingcomputer.com Latest News

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

Well, here I am again. :thumbsup:

Any chance of getting more frequent updates in the News forum? It would be great to see links to technology news of general interest on a fairly regular basis. I realize that staff is always super busy and that updating the forum would be low priority, but the concept of the forum is a good one, IMO.

Also, I don't think it looks good to visitors on the front page and at the top of the forums index page to have such old news sitting there.

Hope you understand that I'm not complaining - just making a suggestion. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Also, I want to compliment whoever is in charge of SEO. While googling for some info in someone's post yesterday, I got a hit on that very post not 10 minutes after it had been made! :flowers:

Edited by Dialer, 08 January 2008 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

Careful !!! You just might get nominated :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

:flowers:

But wait a moment, I thought that only happened when the victim - errr, nominee - wasn't around. I'll just have to stay logged in forever. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialer, 08 January 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

You may begin by contributing to the Breaking Virus and Security News Forum, if you wish.
Many sites (Slashdot, or CNet for example) provide much the same information in other areas of computing, and a duplication of coverage may be redundant.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

Thanks, John, but I agree with you about the possible redundancy in the Breaking Virus and Security News Forum. I think folks are already doing a good job in there. Also, that doesn't speak to the issue of old news on BC's front page, which I assume is being fed somehow from the News forum.

Are you suggesting that news posted there could be redundant, as well? I can't speak for any other members, but I don't go seeking out tech news, although I usually read what I run across.

I'm most definitely not asking for permission to post in the News forum, but if I can help in some other way to keep it more current, I'd be glad to give it a try.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

There may be some changes to the front page forthcoming which will address your comments.

If there is a need for redundancy, though, it certainly is in the area of virus and security news. Anything BC can do to increase our Member's awareness of major malware events---even at the risk of repetition--- seems something we need to do.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

All right, then, I'll do what I can. Thanks John.

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hang on their BC friends!

Changes are in the wind. Which way the wind blows is another subject....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

All right, then, I'll do what I can. Thanks John.

Sounds like you better scrap that dial-up connection :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

@ Mark

Wiseguy! You must have read my post with the disclaimer, huh? :trumpet: But if I scrapped my dialup connection, I'd have to change my username.

In truth, I would if I could, but I live in a very rural area. Can't get cable, can't afford satellite, and I have to go through 2 - count 'em 2 - phone companies to get to my ISP. :flowers:

Hence my comment about doing what I can. :thumbsup:

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

I am going to shut this conversation down for the time being.

As I said in post #8 above, changes are impending. Wait for it Grasshoppers.... he he
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users