Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Csrss.exe Processes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wingstmontana

wingstmontana

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

hey

1st post..ive noticed ive got 3 csrss.exe processes running when looking in task manager.i dont think ive seen 3 of them running before..i know its a legitamite windows process but a bit confused to why there's 3 of them all using between 1,432-2,476KB..any ideas or am i being paranoid lol

cheers!
Kind Regards

Wingstmontana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

Welcome to BC
As long as the processes are located in the folder: C:\Windows\System32, you're OK.
Perhaps this thread can explain it better than I can. They're talking about Vista but the same applies to XP
http://forums.microsoft.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wingstmontana

wingstmontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

Welcome to BC
As long as the processes are located in the folder: C:\Windows\System32, you're OK.
Perhaps this thread can explain it better than I can. They're talking about Vista but the same applies to XP
http://forums.microsoft.com/
Mark

they are in the windows folder
\prefetch (8th jan 2008 modified)
\system32 (17th aug 2001 " ")
\servicepackfiles\i386 (4th aug 2004 modified)
\softwaredistribution\download\lots of numbers and letters...... (4th aug 2004 modified)

ran a search and located these files!!
Kind Regards

Wingstmontana

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Maybe take a look at this.

CRSS.EXE PROBLEM.

THis file is supposed to handle the various threads of data coming in and direct them to the proper place. A quick check will be to click open task manager and go to processes tab in the pop-up menu that appears. There you will see the csrss listing. Next to it will be a listing for memory usage. If this changes a lot,be suspicious.
Also right-click on the csrss.exe and select the end process . If Windows won't remove it,you will know that it's the valid one.
Next examine the startup file folder. Right click start and select exlore. In the list of folders in the column on the left of the Windows Explorer that appears,look for startup and open it. If csrss.exe is there, delete it. That may solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users