Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Second User Accounts Desktop Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moony

moony

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

hi all,

hope someone can help me.
i have 2 user accounts, 1 for me and 1 for my children, my problem is that when i install programs to my account and desktop shortcuts are installed they appear on my childrens desktop too, when i try to delete the shortcuts on my childrens desktop i get a pop up saying " destination folder access denied you need to confirm this operation" if i click continue the same box appears, if i click skip then the box closes but the shortcut remains, i have turned off uac and even tried making my childrens user account an administrator but i still cant delete the shortcuts, i want to keep the shortcuts on my desktop, can someone please tell me how to stop the shortcuts appearing on my childrens desktop and only appear on mine

thank you in advance

moony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hello,

Have you tried getting to the other account through your own account? if you can, navigate to their desktop and remove the shortcuts.
If you are in the other account, can you see where the shortcuts are pointing?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:44 AM

if i am loged onto my account and explore all users and get to thier desktop only some of the shortcut icons show up, dont know why all dont show up

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hello,

That is strange unless they are hidden, however, this might be what you need http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...mp;pageNumber=2

Let us know if it works or not.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

thank you very much nigglesnush85 that worked fantasic, sneaky microsoft though doing that with the admin accounts

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

Glad it worked!
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users