Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Problems With The P5k-e Mobo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

Hey there,
I recently bought the Asus P5k-e wifi motherboard in hopes to free a pci slot from this semi-broken wireless card. I installed the drivers for this from the motherboard CD, it picks up a random signal which doesn't really connect to anything as it doesn't allow to connect to my home connection. When i look at the connections in range it doesn't find any except for this one it made "Realtek". Am i missing something, do i have to configure the wifi to connect to my router or something or should it pick up the wireless connection by itself. Is it possible that the onboard WiFI is not so good, so it can't pick up the signal. The router is located downstairs attached to the other computer. I have returned to my old Wireless card until i can find a way to do this. I mean my laptops pick up the signal from upstairs why wouldn't this onboard work. The drivers were installed and the antenna was connected in the back of the PC to the appropriate port.

Thanks in advance
~RB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

Make sure the pin on the BNC connector is not bent or broken. It could be a faulty antennae if you just purchased it I would be asking the manufacture for some explanation. I have not had the privilege of using an onboard wi-fi card accept in laptop applications. I do however know that performance between two different cards can vary tremendously depending on the distance between the router and the card and the obstacles between them IE: walls, windows, and electrical wiring. Also your cordless phone will cause interference too depending on the wireless technology.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users