Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Forum

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skids

skids

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hi, new to this site, skids is an old nickname from when i was a kid, i like to use it as a screename whenever i can.

Hoping to get advice on what to buy to build a new computer. It will be a first build but not for myself, its for my son. I am very proud of my oldest son, he is currently serving in the USAF at Andrews AFB as a radio ground communications tech. The parts to build a computer will be a surprise gift to him.

I was looking at Newegg to get an idea of what to buy and figured there might be compatibility issues. I am no expert in this area and would appreciate suggestions from the tech savy out there on what will work.

I came up with a list of parts, Apevia X-Alien Case w/power supply, ASUS M2N32-SLI Motherboard, AMD 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 Socket AM2, OCZ 4 GB(2 x 2GB) 240 Pin DDR2 SDRAM, Seagate 7200.10 SATA 3.0 GB Hard Drive, along with a low budget mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers and a SATA DVD-ROM drive.

At just a little over $900 it should be a pretty good starter set, but will that memory be compatible with that motherboard? I like the idea of a 4GB memory, is there a better motherboard that will utilize it? Does that motherboard require windows vista as an OS, which I have heard has some bugs?

Thanks for any input, skids

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

Could you provide links to the items you're interested in.
Some of the information you provided is incomplete.
It would be easier to view the specs, than it would be, to keep asking you for additional information. :thumbsup:

One thing I can see know, is I would go with a SATA DVD R/W drive, instead of a ROM drive.
A ROM drive, will only allow him to read disks.
An R/W drive, will allow him to read, and write to, disks.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 skids

skids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

I am sorry, I am having trouble figuring out how to copy and paste the links. When I figure it out I will provide them.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

the best way is to make an account and add them all to a wish list, where you can then save them, post them publically, and give us the link to it.

I would personally go for an intel-based processor, just because they've been more reliable, but if you're a bit more on a budget, go for the AMD.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

See if this helps, skids.
How To Insert A Link In A Post
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users