Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.trats!inf Issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 askanes

askanes

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

A few weeks ago I picked up W32.Trats!inf (at least that's what Norton tells me). I have done everything I can to try and remove it. I have used Norton 360 and Internet Security well as Adware, Spybot, and a couple of online scanners (House Call & Bit Defender) on it but it just won't go away. Bit defender is the only program I used that found it and told me it couldn't fix it, the rest said something to the effect of "problem solved" (of course it wasn't). I also read through a post on this site from someone with the same problem, but his Hijack This logs aren't the same as mine, so I can't use it as a guide line for what to remove. I am running Win XP SP2. I have never used this forum before so any help you can give me would be great. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi askanes and welcome to bleeping computer.

Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove. In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button" when VundoFix appears upon rebooting.

Try this first and then let us know how things went.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

I completely forgot to mention that I did run VundooFix already (I read it in the other post I talked about). That is the only thing I did other than what I mentioned in my original post. I ran VundooFix again just in case. It didn't find anything this go-round, but it did find and remove some files the first time. Sadly my machine still seems to be infected. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the first time.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hi askanes

What you may have here then could be the new vundo infection.
If this is what it is, i'd seriously urge you to consider posting a HJT log.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Read the Preparation Guide before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully

Run a log, and post it in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.

Do not, post it in this topic.
Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response from the HJT Team, because they are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

If you haven't heard back from them in 5 days, go to this topic, Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?, and carefully follow all directions.

BBPP6nz.png

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Now that you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users