Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad File Causing Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thetreeguy

thetreeguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

A few days after getting my computer someone had downloaded 6 emails onto my computer. It went under documents and settings and under user. They had placed their info and 6 different email addresses on my comp. I was banned from internet for awhile because it was sending out potential viruses from my ip address. We tried to delete the file but when we get close it locks up the computer. But we have managed to get it down to 5 megabytes from 190 megabytes. It even causes our anti virus scans to lock up. Does any one have an idea on how to get rid of the rest of the file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Do you know the name of the file and where its located (full file path)on your system?

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "Safe Mode"? Are you doing scans while logged into the "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges"?

You need to start there first.

You should also perform at least one Online Virus Scan.
(These require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
BitDefender Online Scanner <- Add a check by "Autoclean" and choose the option to "Quarantine".
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner <- Vista compatible but Internet Explorer must be Run as Administrator.
F-Secure Online Scanner. <- Follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits) (Vista compatible)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 thetreeguy

thetreeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

I have scanned my computer using my virus scanner. I use the Ca EZ Armor security suite antivirus firewall. When it reaches that file it locks up. I have windows XP. The file name has changed. It was just uunder the user part. Then we deleted some of it and changed the file name. I have not tried to scan it in safe mode and have not changed the log in info. Ill try the scan to see if that works. Thanks.

Well I tried to scan in safe mode and I tried to do a scan with bit defender or whatever it is. Both of them still locked up. In safe mode it locked up and with bit defender it just booted out of it. The file was originaly sent to users under some girls name. It was a bunch of her stuff downloaded on my comp. It is causing so many problems. Please help thanks

Edited by thetreeguy, 09 January 2008 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users