Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Using Hp Disks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

Has anyone done a recovery (reformat) using the HP recovery disks? How long does it take? Any special things to look out for? Are you supposed to disconnect completely from the internet and disconnect the printer and mouse?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6135nr, Windows XP Pro-Media Center Edition 2005, bought 11/30/06. I already did a recovery from the partition on 11/21/07, but it turns out the partition was corrupt, so another one must be done (HP sent the disks upon request). I'll not discuss the isssues here as Papakid has done a magnificent job in assisting me re: malware/infection etc. Getting back up to speed following the 11/21/07 recovery was a nightmare because the Windows Updates didn't seem to load fully or in correct order.

Just need to know the time involved and anything to look out for; the disk check, BIOS check (all is good), cleaning out temp files, cookies, defrag etc. are all done regularly; have had Spy Sweeper and Norton AV from time of purchase (no problems ever found)...mostly problems with the OS I'm told.

Thank you,
jackiemarie

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

Kep your mouse connected. You are going to need it

The recovery can take about an hour, depending on how many cd's they sent you.
I would disconnect your Internet connection from the back of the computer temporarily.
Plug it back in when the process is complete & you antivirus & malware programs are reinstalled

If the printer is USB I would disconnect that too. When you reinstall the drdivers it will prompt you to plug it in so it can detect it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Concerning security, Spy Sweeper and Norton AV send links to reinstall to my email. How can I reinstall the 2 programs before reconnecting with the internet? Both security programs have been replaced, so the original key numbers no longer work.

They sent 2 cds.

Concerning "reinstall the drivers", is this something I need to know to do or will the recovery disks being doing it automatically?

jackiemarie

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

Be sure to back up all of your important files onto a CD, DVD, or flash drive so that you can reinstall those later. Also make sure that you have the CDs for any other drivers that you may need, like those for the printer.

If there is any question as to whether you are still infected you may wish to wipe the hdd with a utility like KillDisk which will completely overwrite all of the files on the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users