Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rob h

Rob h

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hi, at present I have two pcs connected to the internet via a netgear router, which is WPA encrypted, one pc is hard wired, running vista, the other is wireless, running xp home. My daughter wishes to connect her nintendo ds to the net and I am about to buy an ipod touch. The ds does not support WPA and I have heard of a few problems with the ipod touch. Due to my wifes work being sensitive and her using a laptop on the net I am unable to lower the encryption to WEP. What I would like to do is turn one of the pcs into another access point by adding a wireless card or usb device and not have this encrypted. Is this possible? If so, how?and what do I need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 N0nc3ntz

N0nc3ntz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Rob,

I dont think this will be a viable solution for you. A wireless card you have for a pc does not transmit a wireless SSID so you will not be able to connect via your home computer. The only real solution I could possibly think of are VLANS and well... you need a router that can handle that and the know-how..

hmm anyone got any ideas on this one ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users