Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp Folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luciora

luciora

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:35 AM

Yo. :thumbsup:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but i looked through, and this seemed to be the closest.

On to the problem... or is it just me.
My issue is my Temp folder at C:\Documents and Settings\"name"\Local Settings\Temp is 17.0 GB and contains 3872 files, now im not sure on this but 17 GB for the Temp folder is a little to much. I looked through the files, and found that many files are torrents, and .exes among other things i use daily.
What i also noticed is that files such as "$0FE96797.t$m" and similar names take up about half the 17GB.

Is it supposed to be like this or is there something i can do to clear it all up, i barely have any hard drive space left, and something seems to be sapping it.
Thanks in advance =D

~Luciora
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

TEMP FILES. There are 2 files containing temps. One is temporary internet files, the other is the temp files which you are asking about. Temp files are created when certain programs are run or installed. (Windows is SUPPOSED to delete these files automatically but it often misses LOTS and these files, if left behind, can cause many problems with your computer.) Temp files should be deleted when the application using them closes, but many times they are not. Over time, the files build up, take up drive space and can affect your computers performance. These temp files are safe to delete.
However, they do not automatically show up on your computer. They are in a part of the hidden files and you must configure Windows Explorer in order to see them. Apparently you already know how to access them.
If some don't delete, don't worry about it. If the program associated with the files is running, they will not delete.
You can try deleting the next time you log on to your desktop before you open any other programs. If they still don't delete, and you want them gone, boot into safe mode and delete from there.
Clear your cache on a regular basis. Assess what you have installed on your computer-are there programs installed that get very little use? If so, decide if you can get along without them and uninstall them.
Have folders and files with lots of saved photos or documents? Consider backing them up to another source-cd, external hard drive, flash drive-and deleting them from your computer.
Defragment-if it's been a while since you've done this, or if you have never done it, the process will take a while. Let it run overnight or during a time when no one will be using the computer.
Also take a few minutes to read this:

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist which can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44693/slow-computer/

#3 luciora

luciora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

Thanks mate. But one thing i want to clarify, just in case i don't screw my self up.
Are ALL files within the Temp folder safe to delete? i mean files, folders and even files such as "$0FE96797.t$m"
Thanks Again :thumbsup:

~Luciora

Edited by luciora, 08 January 2008 - 09:44 AM.

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Anything in the Temp folder, can be deleted.
To access the folder:

Start / Run / type in: %temp% / OK

Delete everything in that folder.
As Queen-Evie said, any files that are in use, will not be deleted.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 luciora

luciora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

Sweet, thanks for your help. Both of you :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

You're welcome, luciora.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users