Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtime Helping

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

I think this would be a great feature to have at BC. We could help more people and quicker. It coudl run on a Java page or something and the users coudl talk to other users about there problems in realtime like IM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hey there,

on the top right hand corner, you will find a link called "Chat", this leads you to the java applet which brings you to the BleepingComputer Chat room.

hth.

YoHi

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

No I mean as in an acutall post where you can talk about it.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

a fact that would help ( and I guess you meet it on all sites) is for those who have requested help for a problem do not merely abandon the thread once the request for help has been made ; this problem I notice on many forums :thumbsup:

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, I have seen that too. Even that happened to me once.

Anyway back to what I was saying, I mean on the topic about for example a topic that is going to take more than one simple and easy post to fix the problem. We could have a button that you press where it invites a user that the person requiring help has elected but the user who was requested doesn't need to help them if they don't want to.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

the only threads that I know of where a specific helper gives advise is on the Log threads;

OR on any specifci thread that has 'given problems', and a Mod or Admin steps in to 'dictate, TO the members who IS and who is NOT to post;

otherwise, can you stop anyone from giving help where they beleive they can??

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

I think this would be a great feature to have at BC. We could help more people and quicker. It coudl run on a Java page or something and the users coudl talk to other users about there problems in realtime like IM.

The logistics of moderating that application would be absolutely prohibitive. If it has the Bleeping Computer name associated with it. We need to be able to moderate content. I would feel horrible if during one of those 'live chats' someone less than honest and trustworthy were to give bad or destructive information. Secondly how would we capture the conversation and archive it? So that the information can be made available for other members to use and access. It would need to be added to a searchable database and made available for google searches. It would require moderators to be available 24/7. They would need to be subject matter experts about every question asked and discussed to make calls about the validity of information. That is just the beginning of the hurdles we would have to overcome. Not to mention training new members on how it would work and the rules and guidelines to follow.

One 'incident' would be one too many in my humble opinion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

I agree with Animal, although it was a nice idea. It would require a lot of man power to moderate.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

Yeah I guess that is right, we would need more moderators and make tthem work more. It's too much, but, ah well. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users