Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Browser Windows - Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

When I have multiple browser windows open with Firefox and I close the first window that I opened, all other windows freeze and I have to shut them with process manager (can close them now with 1.01).

I'm assuming that it's connected with tabbed browsing but not sure if it can be fixed. I've never managed to get url links I click on to open in a new browser window which may be connected with this.

Any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

Try uninstall, renaming your mozilla prefs file, and reinstalling the latest. SEe if that works

#3 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hi Grinler,
Unfortunately not, it still locks subsequent pages once you close the first opened. It's almost as if it is treating them as tabbed pages and once you close the first, it's lost as far as the back reference goes. :thumbsup:

I can't remember ever being able to get hyperlinks to automatically open a new browser window. I always have used the right click and open link in new window. Perhaps that's the problem. Is there anyway to default that ?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

Tools / Options / Advanced / Tabbed Browsing /
under "Open links from other applications in:" put a check in "a new window"
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:58 AM

Hi tg1911,

I have the Tabbed Browser download extension and even though I have both Load Links in and Load External Links in set to New Window, it still insists on loading them into the same window and freezing when I close the first open.

I notice that even though I have uninstall and reinstalled Firefox a number of times it is still retaining information regarding a toolbar that I set up originally. I think I'm going to clear absolutely everything out pertaining to Firefox and try reinstalling it again.

Perhaps the problem is that :thumbsup:

Will let you know how I go on.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:33 AM

When uninstalling Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file isn't removed when you uninstall Firefox. It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install.

Set windows to show hidden files, then navigate to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup), and then try reinstalling Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:40 AM

Hi tg1911,

Thanks for that. I'd stumbled across that just before lunch and I'm now trying to reinstall the settings that I had before.

I've done a quick test and it appears to work.

Thanks,
Peter :thumbsup:

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

You're welcome, penmore.

Glad to here you've got it working again.
Can't do without Firefox.LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users