Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have Some Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Omato3

Omato3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

Okay, I have a windows XP Dell Dimensions DIM2400 Home Edition. Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Question 1. How do I find out if I am the Administrator? Would I be able to find it on my comptuer and if I am the admin. but forgot under what name I used, how can locate it?

Question 2. When I received my computer a few years ago, it came with Music match for windows media and Music Match Jukebox. Do I need those or can I delete them from the add/remove programs?

Question 3. On the local disk, there is a folder called 1386. There are a bunch of files and what not in there and some of these files are compressed files. Can I delete these compressed files? I am low on disk space and it keeps telling me to free space on the drive by deleting old or unnecssary files, click here. I click it and it brings up my disk cleanup. I've run it several times, but it hasn't made a difference.
The compressed files start with a bunch of numbers like 3EC317800etc etc. with a date modified in Nov. 2004. All of these compressed files are dated in Nov. 2004.

Edited by Omato3, 08 January 2008 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hi Omato3,

1. I'm working in Vista Home Premium now, but for the user account info, I think this should work on XP, as well.

Go into your Control Panel, double-click on User Accounts, go to Manage another account. In Vista, it then lists all user accounts, including their types.

2. You should be able to uninstall those programs without any ill effects. My recollection is that I uninstalled them when I first got XP a number of years ago. I'd suggest that if you're asked during the process if you want to remove any shared files that you say no. In other words, elect to keep any shared files.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

ETA: Oops. You added question 3 while I was writing this post. Sorry, but I can't help you with that one.

Edited by Dialer, 08 January 2008 - 12:42 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

If you are the Administrator (and haven't renamed the account) your account name will be Administrator. If you have an administrator account, you'll be able to tell by using Dialer's advice.

If you don't use the Music Match stuff it's safe to uninstall.

As for the i386 folder - that contains copies of the operating system files. If you ever need to restore your system, it'll likely look there for the files to restore from. If you have a complete set of Dell Restore disks (Operating System, Applications, Drivers, and other disks) then it should be safe to remove that folder. But that will remove the ability to recover by activating the recovery option in the boot menu - so you'll have to use another way to recover the system.

If you don't have the complete set of recovery CD's, then don't delete that folder. You may want to check with Dell about the cost of a set of recovery CD's.

External USB hard drives are becoming fairly inexpensive these days and using one for your data may be a way to free up extra disk space. It'll also provide a place to backup your data in case of a system failure.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users